ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Best Text Editor

Boxer Text Editor

<< < (4/9) > >>

Boxer Software:
Allen,

>> 1. Is there any way to tell it to quit opening windows maximized? 

Yes... on the Configure|Preferences|Display dialog page, uncheck the option entitled "Auto-maximize new windows when created"

>> 2. Is it possible to save settings without closing Boxer?

No, sorry.  I hope you'll find that crashes are very rare.  I've never considered adding features to work around crashes.  :)

Was the edit box filled to its capacity with text?  I checked the code, and I do see a potential problem, but only if you were using a parameter string longer than 250 characters or so.  Was yours that big?

Best,

David.

allen:
Thanks for the quick reply,
Allen,

>> 1. Is there any way to tell it to quit opening windows maximized? 

Yes... on the Configure|Preferences|Display dialog page, uncheck the option entitled "Auto-maximize new windows when created"
-Boxer Software (June 18, 2007, 03:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

I swear, I looked there a dozen times... how'd you just now get it to appear?! :)

>> 2. Is it possible to save settings without closing Boxer?

No, sorry.  I hope you'll find that crashes are very rare.  I've never considered adding features to work around crashes.  :)

Was the edit box filled to its capacity with text?  I checked the code, and I do see a potential problem, but only if you were using a parameter string longer than 250 characters or so.  Was yours that big?

--- End quote ---

Hey, you never know--windows could crash, too. It happens! As for the parameters, they weren't anywhere near -that- big.

--- ---/search /Folderrecurse "$Path" /masks *.$Ext /searchtext "$Sel" /Preview
or something similar.  It won't crash for me now... can't reproduce, it may as well not have happened at all :) And now I get to put it in a third time, it having never named the tool it forgot I'd put it in.  I'll name it yet.

Did you see above my hap-hazard description of persistent selections?

Boxer Software:
Did you see above my hap-hazard description of persistent selections?
--- End quote ---

Yes, I meant to get back to you on that.  I use The Bat! too, but I wasn't aware that was an option in their editor.  So now I've seen it working.  It's a little offputting if you're not used to it; to each his own, of course.  I was surprised that their implementation has the selection being released when you reposition the text cursor by clicking with the mouse.  Anyway, I've made a note to take a look to at least see whether it could be implemented.  Without looking, my guess is that there are lots of places that assume that the text cursor is by necessity adjacent to the selection.  There could be screen painting issues, for one. 

allen:
I was surprised that their implementation has the selection being released when you reposition the text cursor by clicking with the mouse.
--- End quote ---

I had no idea. Not a big fan of the mouse :) (First thing I did when I installed Boxer was hide the toolbar)

I really appreciate your time in this thread. For the first time in several years, I am considering dropping a few dollars on a [different] text editor--of course a bit more time spent with the trial period will make it easier to decide whether the value of this editor versus my [surely easy to deduce] primary editor is justified given the price point.  While not an unfair price, per se, it is not a negligible one either.

That said--portability/registry independence is something that is becoming extremely popular these days--sooner or later, I'm sure you'll get pressured into that.  (Though you've more or less already implied sooner.)  My request for persistent selections (or persistent blocks) is certainly a less common one--if not altogether uncommon--but I think some experience with them might give you an appreciation for them; even if you are not wholly converted yourself.  I know for certain of two text editors that use them--and to greater effect than The Bat! VEDIT and Editpad Pro. In both cases, the ability to copy and move the block/selection to the cursor are made available.  When creating somewhat redundant but not identical code, duplicating the selection is a real time saver.  For example a list of links that differ from one another only by a number or character or two--select the redundant text, duplicate it--the new copy is highlighted now; you edit it, perhaps incrementing, then duplicate that one.  Easy to remember what the last one you did was--it's copied over.

I can see where you're coming from with potential difficulty in such an implementation, though. The fact that you're at least looking at it gives me at least a little hope.  As seemingly subtle a feature it is, it's a (perhaps irrationally) huge thing for me.

All that out of the way, just a few more comments--

* Probably from spending so much time with Opera, I personally expect a new blank file to open when I double click the empty desktop

* Soft wrapping:  is it possible to wrap text on screen without it hard-wrapping the text?  The spelling and auto-complete features make this a great environment to compose things like this--but I don't want to wrap text I'm going to be dropping into a forum--but don't particularly enjoy reading through these long lines either.  Wrap -> Format -> Unformat--seems to add a lot of steps.  (Granted this is a moot point 99% of the time when one is programming) (I see you get this a bit :)

* I love the custom file->open box--it's a tremendous "selling point" for me, particularly the auto-complete aspect.  What I'm curious about is--can you multi-select from the command line (other than wild cards).  What I'd hoped to see, I guess-- is, I autocomplete file1.txt -- put in a semi-colon and it lets me auto-complete another, and another, etc. -- like "file.txt";"file2.txt";"file3... --etc., after the semi-colon, a new file name can be auto-completed.  Already got it covered, I see

Boxer Software:
Allen,

I do plan to get back to you on this one, but this morning has been crazy.  Hopefully the afternoon will give me some time.

Best,

David.

http://www.boxersoftware.com

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version