ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Best Text Editor

Boxer Text Editor

<< < (6/9) > >>

Boxer Software:
I'm almost tempted to download boxer and give it a try again ...
-f0dder (June 27, 2007, 07:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

Well, "no pain, no gain."  Not that switching to Boxer would be especially painful...  Allen seems to be enjoying himself.  :)

But it could be one of those things where a small investment in time returns larger dividends in productivity going forward.

(And I'll try to make sure your investment is as small as possible by answering questions.)

Best,

David

http://www.boxersoftware.com

OGroeger:
Hm, i downloaded the trial version and it looks like Boxer doesn't support UTF.  :huh:
UTF-8 files are displayed incorrectly (ANSI i suppose) and UTF-16 files are handled as binaries.

Boxer Software:
i downloaded the trial version and it looks like Boxer doesn't support UTF.  :huh:
UTF-8 files are displayed incorrectly (ANSI i suppose) and UTF-16 files are handled as binaries.
-OGroeger
--- End quote ---

Right... there's no UTF/Unicode support in Boxer at this time.  Sorry.

David.

http://www.boxersoftware.com

kovi2:
Right... there's no UTF/Unicode support in Boxer at this time.  Sorry.
-Boxer Software (July 03, 2007, 10:10 AM)
--- End quote ---

This thread seems to be abandoned. Hope you read it yet, David. I'm looking around to get a new text editor (I've been a big XEmacs-user... maybe not that big since I admit that for some purposes it's better to have some more 'regular' editor). Even commercial editors can enter the scene and I evaluated Boxer (too), and it seems quite useful for me. However that UTF/Unicode support... Well, do you plan to add that?

Thanks,
Szabolcs

tranglos:
However that UTF/Unicode support... Well, do you plan to add that?
-kovi2 (January 07, 2008, 07:45 AM)
--- End quote ---

Please count me in as another highly interested party.

Generally, it seems to me that many (if not most) shareware text editors are geared towards coding. (Although dedicated IDEs seem to be gaining popularity.) This may account for lack of Unicode/UTF8 support in many otherwise very powerful editors. But coding is only one of many tasks one needs a text editor for, and these other tasks increasingly often require at least UTF-8. Without it, you can't do serious work with XML files, just to mention one example.

In my translation work I've been working exclusively in Unicode for two or three years now, so I can't escape it, even though I think it's pretty evil :) Well, UTF-8 is a tolerable necessary evil, but UTF-16 is, IMtotallyHO, true unmitigated concentrated essence of hell-bound evilness, aka the spawn of satan (and I'm being generouos too!)

And yes, I realize that some compilers/interpreters support UTF8 source code files now, but that's primarily Visual Studio, which is already an IDE. Python does as well though, doesn't it?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version