ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Making the Switch-04: The "User Guide" as life raft, more n00b problems

<< < (2/4) > >>

zridling:
Since then, here's what I've done:

ls -l /dev/disk/by-uuid/

which returned:

total 0
              lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 2007-06-14 04:36 6068b6ae-9b08-4ce9-a6fe-08add83228c0 -> ../../sda1

So I did the following:

mkdir /mnt/2drive

Open fstab file and added this line:

/dev/hdb1 /mnt/2drive ext3 defaults 0 0

mount /dev/mapper/<other_thing> /<mountpoint_directory>

What is the "other thing"?

Oy, nothing. Maybe I should consider doing this under KDE as Tonurics suggests. Gnome is making my tiny dinosaur brain hurt.

zridling:
Hmmm, Gothic, I'll be honest, this is really all above my head, as like before, I truly don't understand what you're talking about. I'm not at the point where I can grasp this right now. I pulled out a Ubuntu hacker book and input all their commands to no avail also. As Tonurics noted, I'd love to be able to save data to a "d-drive" using ext3 and never have to worry about losing the data if I go distro hopping (as I invariably will over the next year).

Darwin:
I share your pain, Zaine. I haven't starte trying to understand the command line in linux yet - I'm a bit awed by it, and strangely excited - but I want to be able to devote some significant, uninterupted time to its study - with a 3 and a 5 year old, that's not going to happen soon! I have great hopes for the evenings in my tent in Belgium. I'll let the 20 year olds drink Belgian beer while I distract myself from my PhD dissertation with a linux manual. That actually sounds appealing, incredibly foolhardy, and sad all at once  :o

zridling:
I really need to start at the beginning with an "Idiot's Guide" or something, to get a grasp of the whole picture of the file system and storage management in GNU/Linux. I'm going to reload either Ubuntu or Fedora 7 this weekend with KDE and see if it's easier. But I'm glad I'm doing this, because when I read other accounts of Windows users who have made the switch, they don't seem to chronicle the obstacles.

As I keep saying, it's enlightening not because I can't do it yet, but simply because it's different. I'll get there eventually!

Laughing Man:
I have to say.. Google is a great help to me when trying to use Linux. I've found sites that help with the command line, and like Windows errors, putting in common problems in Linux or terminal responses can help you find a solution. I first tried Linux (as an actual jump into it.. not messing around with just a Live CD) thru Wubi by installing it to my laptop. Then I made a real Ubuntu install on my desktop. Though I had my fair share of difficulties (though that was setting up Beryl), I'm happy to say that it is easier for me in Linux then in Windows. For example, we have an HP Photosmart 2600 printer in our house. And for everyone's XP computer it's like a plague trying to use HP's drivers. I havent' found a way to connect the printer manually thru Windows (none of our computers are on a workgroup) but in Linux it took me less then a minute to install it. Linux recognized it and everything.

Same with my ethernet ports, logitech webcam, etc.. the only issue I have now is getting some extra keys on my keyboard to work and getting the mic on my headset to work. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version