topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:41 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: More about e-mail web based and other  (Read 11121 times)

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
More about e-mail web based and other
« on: June 14, 2007, 04:46 AM »
Found this little article-

http://email.about.c...ws/tp/free_email.htm

G-mail at the top of the list, which I use now.

But there are others I've not heard of including Windows and Mac e-mail programs.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: More about e-mail web based and other
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 01:37 PM »
I actually prefer the Yahoo and Live offerings to GMail (though I have and use all three!). I'm wondering, though, if Yahoo will ever make it out of beta. It's pretty solid, and will be my favourite of all the options if its idiosyncrasies (mailboxes failing to load, for example - not good) ever get ironed out. It would be nice, too, if they'd let me access my account from a POP3 client without having to pay $19.95 a year for the privilege.

Hirudin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2007, 02:29 PM »
...It would be nice, too, if they'd let me access my account from a POP3 client without having to pay $19.95 a year for the privilege.
Waaa!!!?!

Well, there goes any chance I had at getting my sister to use Thunerbird... $20 for a lifetime... MAYBE, but a year? That's just greedy!

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2007, 02:50 PM »
Yup! I suspect this is going to change, though, because GMail allows you do this for free already!

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2007, 03:49 PM »
I actually prefer the Yahoo and Live offerings to GMail (though I have and use all three!). I'm wondering, though, if Yahoo will ever make it out of beta. It's pretty solid, and will be my favourite of all the options if its idiosyncrasies (mailboxes failing to load, for example - not good) ever get ironed out. It would be nice, too, if they'd let me access my account from a POP3 client without having to pay $19.95 a year for the privilege.

Darwin,

Why do you prefer Yahoo!?  (just curious)

But...  I have two Yahoo! accounts and access them both with POP3.  However, I'm using the old-style Yahoo.  I think I avoided the beta because I didn't have enough screen resolution for it at the time, and I've never bothered to try it again.  Besides, I think it uses ActiveX, and isn't that a security risk?

dhuser

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • King Dogbert
    • View Profile
    • StumbleUpon Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2007, 04:01 PM »
I use MyWay. It is operated by the company that owns Ask.com. It's not bad, although lacks some features. I would recommend it to a person who just wants a simple e-mail account.

dhuser
My StumbleUpon Profile
Imagine.Explore.Create!

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2007, 08:32 PM »
rjbull - I like the Yahoo beta because it's very quick and functions pretty much exactly like Outlook and other pop3 clients, so it's very intuitive. The new hotmail and gmail are both tied as a close second. I started using Yahoo as my main addy for everything software related (as in buying and contacting support) in about 1998 so have the most experience with it. GMail I *had* to have when it was invite only and I got an address a couple of years ago, but I've never really used it so it could be argued that my preference for Yahoo stems from familiarity more than anything... Anyway, try the beta (it's easy to switch back); I think you'll be impressed.

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2007, 09:19 PM »
I have 3 yahoo accounts and one gmail.
Using 3 computers now. I've added another p3 866 and use it for my main computer.

Anyway Yahoo is set as default and so is gmail on all 3 computers.
Funny huh!? Yeah, couldn't get gmail to show up as the email in the start menu, so i put yahoo there. But I do have the send with gmail option on my toolbar.

Can't log into more then one yahoo account on one computer except through trillian. Even then it's just monitoring the inbox and not really logged in. That's what I've tryed anyway. And you can't be logged in to the same yahoo account on different computers without it automatically logging you out of the other you are not using.

With gmail you can be logged into the same account on more then one computer at the same time, and stay logged in on all computers. Not sure about running and being logged into more then one gmail account on the same computer at the same time.

That's my experience so far. I like not having the email on my computer unless i want it there. Just for reformat purposes. Which I do occasionally. I've done it so much I've got it down to about a day to get back what I want setup.

2 hard drives on each system so I have special programs there that can't be found any more and my music and pictures.

O yeah email..lol...the subject...web based is my preference. Cause I don't have to be concerned about backing it up for reformating and reinstalling.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2007, 09:23 PM by cmpm »

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2007, 04:04 PM »
I started using Yahoo as my main addy for everything software related (as in buying and contacting support) in about 1998 so have the most experience with it. GMail I *had* to have when it was invite only and I got an address a couple of years ago, but I've never really used it so it could be argued that my preference for Yahoo stems from familiarity more than anything... Anyway, try the beta (it's easy to switch back); I think you'll be impressed.

Same here...  and you can set up a Yahoo address yourself without needing an invitation, so I had it earlier than Gmail.  I started using one Yahoo address as a standard webmail address, and another specifically for Yahoo Groups.

I think I've tried Yahoo beta and immediately reverted to Yahoo original twice now...

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2007, 07:58 PM »
Well... I still have 50 GMail invites (that work, though I didn't think you needed them anymore?!) - if you want to see what the fuss is about, just PM me!

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2007, 08:43 AM »
Well... I still have 50 GMail invites (that work, though I didn't think you needed them anymore?!) - if you want to see what the fuss is about, just PM me!

Somebody else already did, but thanks anyway!  :)  I use it so little I'll have to set a reminder to go  and look at it on the Web to keep it alive...

Laughing Man

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • V for Viktor
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2007, 08:49 AM »
...It would be nice, too, if they'd let me access my account from a POP3 client without having to pay $19.95 a year for the privilege.
Waaa!!!?!

Well, there goes any chance I had at getting my sister to use Thunerbird... $20 for a lifetime... MAYBE, but a year? That's just greedy!

The good thing about Thunderbird is that there's extensions that page scrape the emails. Webmail + Yahoo will allow you to download yahoo emails to Thunderbird.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2007, 09:10 AM »
Nice, laughingman!

I used to use MrPostman to do something similar in Outlook for both Hotmail (there was about a year during which my pop3 access was disabled and then it mysteriously reappeared) and Yahoo, but it stopped working for Yahoo and I've never been able to get it to work again. Once Hotmail started letting me access my mail via Outlook without using a thirdparty app, I dumped it. Development of MrPostman seems to be moribund (last update was 18 months ago). There are a range of both free and paid apps that will do this...

PS Although most people (from reading the Sourceforge forum for MrPostman) seem to be able to use MrPostman to retrieve their Yahoo mail in Outlook, I simply can't using three different machines (and thus installations) and two different Yahoo accounts. Of course, I gave up about a year ago... maybe I should try again!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 09:15 AM by Darwin »

mitzevo

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Control is power
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2007, 11:00 PM »
I like the Yahoo! beta mail system, it's pretty nice - apart from the hangups it has every now and then.
I started using gmail a few years back - seems to do the job all right.
The clock is running. Make the most of today. Time waits for no man. Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.

JeffK

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2007, 07:03 AM »
Don't forget if you want to explore email related stuff together with others, you can always go to www.emaildiscussions.com.

Jeff

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2007, 07:22 AM »

Can't you access POP mail if you agree to some Yahoo Spam ?

I have two free Yahoo accounts and it worked fine for me - all the crap came in the same format so it was easy to setup a filter to put it straight in the bin.

Of course things may have changed as I now use an ISP Yahoo account in the UK (which is effectively a paid for account) and use the mail forwarder to send stuff from my old Yahoo accounts to my new address.

That could be another option - just set up forwarding to an ISP based address which you can pick up with POP. IIRC you have the option to leave the original mail on the Yahoo servers so you can then collect in both places but would need to manually delete old mail online.

A final possibility is to use a service like IzyMail (that one is paid but I am sure there are free ones out there too) that grab hotmail and yahoo mail and deliver it via a POP interface to your mail client. This works irrespective of whether you have a paid for hotmail or yahoo account.

You may want to look at this open source project http://ypopsemail.com/ (note I have never used this as I don't need it but it may be the solution you are looking for). Report back if it works please.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2007, 07:27 AM »
But...  I have two Yahoo! accounts and access them both with POP3.  However, I'm using the old-style Yahoo.  I think I avoided the beta because I didn't have enough screen resolution for it at the time, and I've never bothered to try it again.  Besides, I think it uses ActiveX, and isn't that a security risk?

It works on Firefox as well as IE so presumably it uses JavaScript and not ActiveX which would exclusively require IE.

I have swapped back and forth between old and new Yahoo interfaces and keep going back to the old interface. The new one isn't ready yet - lots of options are missing. I also use colour coding with emails based on Address Guard addresses (which means SPAM stands out) - this isn't supported in the new version (bummer).

Lot's of the options either aren't available in the new version or you end up going back to the old options pages and then it often gets confused trying to get back to your mail box.

The other thing is it is just too slow at the moment.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2007, 09:12 AM »
Hmmm... interesting couple of posts Carol. I haven't tried to access Yahoo via pop3 "natively" in ages, maybe I'll give it a look again.

As for the new interface, I still have an active Yahoo Plus account so only use the new interface to access my mail away from my main computer and to review and remove the contents of the SPAM folder (always a good idea as occasionally I find bona fide e-mail - usually with licence code! in it). I've already decided not to renew the Yahoo Plus membership, which runs out next month, and hope that you're right (SpamBayes does an outstanding job of filtering my mail, so I don't care about SPAM from Yahoo).

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2007, 04:50 AM »
[...]I'm using the old-style Yahoo.  I think I avoided the beta because I didn't have enough screen resolution for it at the time, and I've never bothered to try it again.  Besides, I think it uses ActiveX, and isn't that a security risk?

It works on Firefox as well as IE so presumably it uses JavaScript and not ActiveX which would exclusively require IE.
-Carol Haynes (June 19, 2007, 07:27 AM)

[Edit]  I should have noted that I'm using Yahoo! UK addresses, not Yahoo.com  [/Edit]

I think something may have changed.  I have a hazy memory that when I first tried the beta, it said you needed ActiveX.  I just swapped back and forth again, and it doesn't say that now.  However, I noticed something else: "You now have unlimited storage," which sounds good.

I also use colour coding with emails based on Address Guard addresses (which means SPAM stands out)

What's Address Guard, please?

« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 04:52 AM by rjbull »

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2007, 05:56 AM »
What's Address Guard, please?

I too am in the UK and use BTInternet as my ISP. They have teamed up with Yahoo in the UK provide Yahoo! Mail 'Plus' email addresses (or at least they did when I signed up - things have changed since) disguised as btinternet.com addresses.

If you are using the full version of Yahoo (Yahoo Plus?) there is the facility to use Address Guard (click on options). It works by allowing you to set up as many yahoo.co.uk (or yahoo.com depending on location) email addresses as you like for specific purposes. They each have a common prefix (which you choose) and all email is delivered to a folder you specify for each address (when you set it up - or you can edit it later. It can be the Inbox). You can also enable a column to see which was the receiving address. You choose whether you allow filters or SpamGuard to be applied to each address individually - and you can also optionally send email from these address (they appear in a drop down list when you compose an email online).

This has the advantage that each time you sign up to a website you can give them a unique email address - and if you start receiving SPAM you know which site sold your details. It is then trivial to delete that specific email address and not receive more spam on it. Your normal email address needs never be seen by anyone - not that it stops spam because Yahoo seems to have real problems dealing with dictionary attacks.

You can see full details at: http://help.yahoo.co...l/addressguard1.html

The only disadvantages I can see is that if you decide to drop Yahoo you need to change all your addresses again (but you would have to if you gave out your Yahoo address anyway) and the worry that Yahoo suddenly decide to do things a different way and expect you to change everything with short notice. I don't know how likeyly that would be as they would have a lot of very unhappy paying for customers.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 05:59 AM by Carol Haynes »