topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:00 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Add an ability to sign in on the Home page  (Read 12709 times)

nowshining

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Ugh! Hello! Anybody there?
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Add an ability to sign in on the Home page
« on: June 13, 2007, 01:19 PM »
it gets frustrating to have to come here to the forums just to sign into the site, :( can you guys please add a sign in on the homepage?

:Thmbsup:
First site to ever donate to "THIS ONE RIGHT HERE" :)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Add an ability to sign in on the Home page
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2007, 01:29 PM »
you really should only have to sign in once per computer; it remembers you using cookies.  if it keeps forgetting who you are, make sure you aren't deleting the donationcoder cookie.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2007, 04:04 PM »
you really should only have to sign in once per computer; it remembers you using cookies
You're assuming we use cookies...

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 06:41 PM »
I'd second, er, third (sorry Chris!) this idea - I'll be travelling in Europe for five weeks and will be logging into donationcoder whenever I can. www.donationcoder.com rolls off the fingertips more readily than www.donationcoder.com/forums/ To extend nowshining's original idea, it would be nice to have a login area on the homepage and have logging in re-direct you to a "My Donationcoder" page that is configureable like My Google or My Yahoo. You see, when you aren't respsonsible for coding this stuff pie in the sky is REALLY easy, which is my way of acknowledging that this might be asking too much...

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2007, 09:25 PM »
I'll be travelling in Europe for five weeks
Off topic but...have a good trip!

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2007, 09:32 PM »
Thanks Chris! "Travelling in Europe" may be a bit misleading- I'll be taking part in the excavation of a Neanderthal cave site in Belgium so will be pretty sedentary, for the most part. *Hopefully* I'll be able to take advantage of my weekends off to visit some sites around Western Europe. I'll definitely be doing a flying visit to England to see my supervisor. I *should* also visit my 83 year old aunt, but don't know if I'll get up North (Yorkshire) - be well worth the trip though!

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2007, 11:48 PM »
i like this idea, another vote from me.. :up: i also have this problem whenever i'm outdoors - cyber-café, public library, etc..

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2007, 07:20 PM »
www.donationcoder.com rolls off the fingertips more readily than www.donationcoder.com/forums/
Also notice that there's 'forum.donationcoder.com' (without www), which is only 1 character longer than 'www.donationcoder.com' :D

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2007, 10:04 PM »
Also notice that there's 'forum.donationcoder.com' (without www), which is only 1 character longer than 'www.donationcoder.com'
thanks for the tip, jgpaiva! i didn't know that.. :Thmbsup: i usually type only 'donationcoder' and use Ctrl+Enter to fill out the rest but this will do for the time being.. :)

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2007, 10:18 PM »
 ;D I actually just type "dc" (sans quotes) and hit SHIFT and I'm there... I have a DirectAccess abbreviation setup to bring me directly here. I use cookies, too, so don't have to worry about logging in. Don't know why I started agitating above as I am taking my notebook with me so will be on the same machine.

This is not to say that I haven't noted, and regretted, the absence of a log-in area on the homepage in the past when using other people's machines. I don't actually mind having to come to the forums, though, as this is where I spend 99.98% of my time anyway!

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2007, 04:49 AM »
I also hardly notice this problem, since my opera is opened on computer startup and is never closed. Also, the unread posts page is always the first tab on it, and locked so that i won't close it :)

The only problem i find when logging in from other machines, is the fact that the url is a bit too long :( But www.dc.com is already taken  by "Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu". Who the heck are those guys anyway? >:(

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2007, 08:22 AM »
Yeah, I have unread donationcoder messages as the first tab in Maxthon when I start it up as well  :-*

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2007, 09:13 PM »
i usually type only 'donationcoder' and use Ctrl+Enter to fill out the rest but this will do for the time being..

I just reread this thread and noticed this tip - I didn't know that one, very nice! Thanks, lanux  :Thmbsup:

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2007, 09:35 PM »
you're welcome, Darwin.. :) i too have set Firefox to open DC forums upon start but i have this problem only when i'm outdoors or working at someone else's PC.. anyway, i've been trying to set-up Firefox Portable and take my profile with me.. :)