ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > DcUpdater

DcUpdater - Coming Soon - Teaser Screenshot

<< < (3/5) > >>

mouser:
It doesnt matter if the software is officially installer or just unzipped into a folder,
BUT
one problem is that its looking for updates, which for donationcoder are mostly in the form of full setup installers.

That is, it was not my intention to only upload the modified exe, but rather stick with the full installer download when an update is needed.  So my problem is that if you are using it in a plain folder without an install, when it finds that an update is needed, it will want to download the installer and run it.

I suppose i could have an option that says, when you find an update, just download the file and give it to the user instead of running it.  or of course you could just use the updater tool to find out about new updates without using it to download and install stuff.

Carol Haynes:
Sounds like a good solution.

Maybe you could implement the single license key (we talked about this a couple of years ago) for all apps via a centrally held ini file (say in C:\Program Files\DonationCoder\donationcoderapps.ini or C:\Windows\donationcoderapps.ini) which could also keep a list of installed applications (registered in the ini file as such when installed) and unzipped applications (the applications could register when they run each time). Then the update could use the installer or just unzip as appropriate.

If the unzipped application folder is not present when the update is run then either a download could be offered or simply a warning that the application folder is missing - and optionally deleted from the registration file.

The ini file approach would be quite useful because then if you have multiple copies of unzipped applications they could all be monitored during the update process.

It would also have the advantage of having a single central license - so if you install a new app you don't have to find the universal key again.

Users who get free individual app temporary keys could stick to the old key system and not get the automatic updates! (Could be an advantage to making a small donation).

Tinman57:
Well as many DC programs that I'm using, it should make life a little easier....   :)

Tekzel:
Oh yea, I have been wanting this app for a while now!  Wheeeen mouser?  Wheeeeeeeeen?

mouser:
more screenshots:

I think i should have a download available this week.  :up:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version