ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

List of Vector Illustration Alternatives

<< < (3/5) > >>

Edvard:
Nighted: Try the 'export' function.
It's in the command-line options to export png:

--- ---inkscape --export-png=file.png file.svgand looky here:
http://linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/tutorials/5757/5/
and I know of fistfuls of Linux icon artists who use inkscape daily to make their png icons.
Don't give up on the 'scape, bro...

brotman:

Hi Chuck. I went to look at the software, but I can't find a copy to try. How do you actually GET the software to test/try?

Thanks, Ken
-KenR (June 19, 2007, 08:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

Ken,

Serif is not shareware, however, they have a liberal 30-60 day money back return policy (depends on product and what specials they are currently running.  Also they have a reasonable upgrade policy and run many customer loyalty specials. For example as a long time serif user I got my last serif program (a 2 release upgrade, for $29, a savings of $100! You can get older versions of their products for free or very cheap, but if you want to do a usefull evaluation I'd recommend taking advantage of the money back period. 

OBTW they have a superb user community at their site,  If you have specific questions before you go any further, I recommend asking them there. Many of those folks are Graphics professionals who have experience with a variety of different graphics and drawing tools.  They'll freely tell you if they think you're better off with something else. it's at  http://www.serif.com/forums.asp
 :Thmbsup:
Chuck

Grorgy:
Wow serif have all sorts of stuff for free, http://www.freeserifsoftware.com/default.asp not the latest versions but the price is right  :)

Carol Haynes:
The biggest problem I had with Serif was the shear quantity of junk mail I received (not only by email but also via the postbox). Some weeks I would receive 2 or 3 items of post.

Their software is pretty good but be prepared to be inundated with "special offers" that often bear no relation to the normal Serif product range. (This isn't 3rd part companies sending junk it is Serif direct selling stuff you won't find on their website).

I haven't used their products for years but even though the flow has diminished I still receive junk mail having told them repeatedly to remove me from their lists. In the UK this is illegal behaviour under the data protection act.

Carol Haynes:
Anyone else tried to post a comment on the blog mentioned in tomos's first post in this thread?

I just get a permissions error from their Linux server but I can't find anyway to contact anyone. If I try to repost my comment it says it has already been posted - maybe there is some sort of moderation in operation.

Anyway my comment was a correction:

Note that Xara Xtreme is also available for Linux - where is it a free open source project. See XaraXtreme for Linux

Currently it is still beta.

Persoanlly I have both Illustrator CS2 (part of the suite) and Xara Xtreme Pro installed under Windows - it is Xara I keep coming back to for speed and ease of use.
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version