ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

List of Vector Illustration Alternatives

<< < (2/5) > >>

tomos:
some references to Freehand tools here in this post from Adobe's Freehand forum,
but you'll get the gist ..

I saw the future and it was cold. I turned to Illustrator CS, fooling myself, snuffing out the fire that still burned for that FH version of long ago. I tried to smile and tell myself I'd learn to love this awkward, ungainly beast as I tried to make a simple selection, or breeze through a multi-paged document on Illustrator's barren canvas. So many depravities later, on a stormy winter's night, a flash of lightning, a glimpse of something, someone, out there in the rain. It was Freehand. Cold and alone. But I hardened my heart and tried to focus on the hooting and clanking bells and whistles of Illustrator.

Then the apocolypse. Adobe, the bearer of my second love Photoshop and its beastly cousin, destroyed MM and absorbed the whithered corpse of Freehand. Millions of good designers and illustrators cried that day. Some, like I had, gave up on the past and looked towards the coming Nuclear Winter.

Not me. Not this time. I rose up and did a fresh install of [Freehand]MX. Wearing a torn leather driving suit and a feather earring, I burn across the backroads of digital design, souped up and spoiling for a fight. I ride the wastelands, looking for fuel and whatever loose palettes can be had. My name's not important, but my drawing program is. She's the last of the great Vector illustration programs and for all her faults she's mine. And if they try to handcuff me to a clipping mask, I will Paste Them Inside!-http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/messageview.cfm?forumid=17&catid=199&threadid=1222786&highlight_key=y&keyword1=canvas#4438509
--- End quote ---

brotman:
Have you looked at Serif's DRAW PLUS 8? Not sure it's in the same league as the tools mentioned above, but I've enjoyed Serif software for many years. Url is http://www.serif.com/drawplus/drawplus8/index.asp   

I'll be interested to read your opinion of this product!  :)

Chuck

Nighted:
I was just trying something with Inkscape and I found out you can't even save a file as PNG!!!!

Very strange....especially considering I needed to convert to a transparent PNG image.

Later on...hahahah, then I tried The Gimp (because it's portable and I didn't feel like installing something else), which immediately upon opening the file asked me what dimensions I wanted to render the vector at. Perfect! Then I saved it to PNG.

A generic graphics program works better than a dedicated vector application! Plus I didn't have to dig around in menus once opening the file to resize it (I am not very familiar with either program and don't have PSP or PS installed at the moment).

KenR:
Have you looked at Serif's DRAW PLUS 8? Not sure it's in the same league as the tools mentioned above, but I've enjoyed Serif software for many years. Url is http://www.serif.com/drawplus/drawplus8/index.asp   
Chuck
-brotman (June 19, 2007, 04:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hi Chuck. I went to look at the software, but I can't find a copy to try. How do you actually GET the software to test/try?

Thanks, Ken

Darwin:
I actually have DrawPlus 8 (got it for $19.95 during one of Serif's promotions and couldn't resist) though I've never used it and have uninstalled it for now. I leave for Belgium in about 36 hours so probably won't have time to play with it, but I'll install it and see if I can put it through its paces while I'm in Belgium (if the beer flows as freely as I have been told at the site, this might not happen!).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version