ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

The great defrag shootout

<< < (3/10) > >>

MrCrispy:
That was an interesting read. I gave up on Diskeeper after its disappointing performance and overly complex UI and use PD, but I'm thinking I should just use JkDefrag and the the other freeware mentioned. Disk defragmentation is a game of diminishing returns anyway and there really is no point trying to squeeze that last bit of performance by running continuous defrag jobs. If anything it places additional stress on the hard disk.

Carol Haynes:
The problem (for me) with JkDefrag is that it lacks any controls in windows at all - you run it or you don't and if you do it processes ALL your hard disks in order. No matter how fast it is that is going to take a long time on my system.

The only alternative is to use a batch file to run it with command switches - not exactly user friendly but I'd guess many here could manage (esp. those of us who grew up on MS DOS).

Maybe a coding snack to produce a simple GUI to generate and execute the app with the correct switches would be a nice addition to the app.

tomos:
Carol
I just downloaded it with a GUI this morning from The Great Defrag Shootout VIII: JkDefrag v3.8

there's a download link towards bottom of page for a packaged version of

JkDefrag
JkDefrag GUI
PageDefrag v.32
NTREGOPT

The only "missing" aspect of this program is that there are certain files it can't defragment because they are in use by the system. They recommend using Sysinternals PageDefrag v.32 to defragment these files, and the combination of the two works incredibly well. There is a third free utility, called NTREGOPT which can be run before rebooting, and this will compact the registry, after which PageDefrag sorts out any fragmentation. A "complete" install with all the necessary utilities is available here.
--- End quote ---

The installer only makes a shortcut for JkDefrag.exe, but the others are in same folder (I dont know if they all portable?)

EDIT: havent actually used it yet, just had a look  :)
EDIT2: not sure what the 1% free space in second screenshot is - could it be the space you allow it to use? (my C drive is fairly full but not that full..)

tomos:
some more screenshots of JkDefrag GUI at it's home page -
http://www.emro.nl/freeware/

Carol Haynes:
Thanks

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version