ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

An alternative to Duel Boot

<< < (4/5) > >>

steeladept:
That site I posted earlier has links to a few different virtualization software.
That KVM one though uses the linux kernel as a hypervisor and needs hardware virtualiztion support.
I would say that one would be the best in terms of speed.
-hollowlife1987 (June 11, 2007, 07:33 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for the link, while it isn't quite ready for prime time for a windows user like me (that is why I want this, to get used to Linux), it looks very promising.   I will keep an eye on it as I get more familiar with Linux.

Carol Haynes:
Eh? That has got to be a fake of some kind (even the Mac kiddies look puzzled in the comments below).

I suspect he has three OSes running at the same time - two of them in a virtual environment (like VMWare).

f0dder:
Why would that youtube video be fake? It's simply the parallels virtual machine and some fancy desktop switcher working together. And it's not running at native performance.

There's no current solutions that work well enough imho, if you want to do interactive work and graphics. And even when hardware virtualization has matured a couple of generations, somebody would still need to write a very capable hypervisor, which isn't a small task at all...

So for the next X years, unless you want to do simple server stuff, you're better off with two physical boxes and a hardware KVM switchbox.

Carol Haynes:
Why would that youtube video be fake? It's simply the parallels virtual machine and some fancy desktop switcher working together. And it's not running at native performance.
-f0dder (June 12, 2007, 05:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

It doesn't say they are running in virtual machines - and the comments below are obviously a bit confused. It seems to imply that by pressing a key it is possible to switch between native installations - which obviously isn't possible which I why I think it is faked.

If someone wants that on a PC (apart from MacOS because of the copyright and ROM difficulties) you could do it with VMWare and an AHK script to swap machines. So what is the big deal?

f0dder:
Actually, it does say...
An alternative to Duel Boot

vmware can already run multiple machines at once, it just doesn't look very fancy when you switch between them :p

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version