ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

An alternative to Duel Boot

<< < (2/5) > >>

cthorpe:
I think that steeladept was referring to a Keyboard-Video-Mouse switch when they said KVM.  I don't think that you would be able to do something like that with one motherboard, cpu, set of memory, etc even if you could get a program to switch hard drives on the fly.

Carl

steeladept:
I think that steeladept was referring to a Keyboard-Video-Mouse switch when they said KVM.  I don't think that you would be able to do something like that with one motherboard, cpu, set of memory, etc even if you could get a program to switch hard drives on the fly.

Carl
-cthorpe (June 11, 2007, 08:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

You are right Carl.  I was trying to avoid a boot where I have to shut down one OS to start the other, while still avoiding the bulk of the hit you get using virtualization.  A KVM switch allows you to run two independent machines at the same time using a hotkey combination to switch between the two.  Virtuallization requires a software package to allow one (or more) OS's to run within a host OS environment.  What I was looking for is something where two separate hard drives with separate OS's run independently on a single motherboard/processor setup.  I think this would be impossible without a BIOS specially made for it, though memory and processor management would be problematic even in this case.  That is why I think this does not exist, but I thought I would ask to see if anyone has seen or heard of this.

BTW:  If any of you work for a motherboard manufacturer, it could be a selling point for your company to get a leg up on the competition  :Thmbsup:

Carol Haynes:
So you basically want two separate computers on one motherboard? Not sure that will happen any time soon.

It may be semi-feasible by using hibernation - I know it isn't the perfect solution but it allows you to swap OSes much quicker than a full reboot.

steeladept:
Exactly.  I fear you are correct about it being a long way off yet.  Why would MB manufacturers want you to be able to virtualize your hardware in such a way?  That gives them enough reason to sell another MB.  Of course if you want to sway me to buy your board over others...

Never the less, it never hurts to ask.  Too bad not all companies think this way.

cthorpe:
Carol is right, hibernation could be useful here.  I can boot back into my hibernated Windows XP in less than half the time it takes to boot normally.  I wonder if there is a linux distro with hibernation like features as well.

Carl

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version