ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Combining partitions

(1/2) > >>

lanux128:
just wondering if is it safe to combine two partitions back into one? only one of the partitions have data and i was thinking maybe the other data-less partition can be added to 1st partition. has anyone here attempted this before?

so, if it is possible, what would be the best tool? i have paragon partition manager in mind but i'm open to choices.

Carol Haynes:
Most of the partition managers will do it safely - but it is probably best to have a backup of the main partition in case you have a problem.

If one of the partitions is empty why not delete it and simply increase the size of the one with data?

Darwin:
I've done this a number of times. I normally use Partition Magic but note that most recently I wound up using Paragon Partition Manager 2005 (a freebie from VuNet) instead because Partition Magic adamantly refused to partition my drive. Alternatively, this freeware alternative looks promising: Partition Logic.

Now, one caveat - think carefully about the new drive letter assignment. Earlier this year/late last year I decided to ditch my dedicated Paging File partition (it was on the same physical disc as Windows) and rolled it into my My Documents partition (so I originally had C: = Windows and Program Files, E: = PF, F: = My Documents (I also have my Outlook pst files on this partition along with my IE settings). Anyway, I blithely let this new, bigger partition be assigned to drive E. Partition Magic went through the registry to update everything to point to E: instead of F: BUT it missed a number of things - Outlook for a start. It's a bit of pain to manually change all of this after the fact... Just a word to the wise...

nite_monkey:
if only one partition has data on it then you can remove the partition and increase the main one with no problems at all, I have done that. I had a vista duel boot, but it messed up, so I deleted the vista partition and increased my xp partition with partition magic, and had no problems.

lanux128:
thanks for the pointers.. i think i'll do just that - delete the 2nd partition and resize.. thanks all! :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version