topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:47 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Returnil Virtual System  (Read 27553 times)

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Returnil Virtual System
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2007, 10:57 PM »
@Darwin - Download the new FARR and use fcalc -

$39.95 - 5.99 != 29.96

$39.95 - 5.99 == 33.96

Though I do now see that the original cost was $35.95 so your total was right.  Never mind, it is almost midnight and the newborn insists on keeping me up to post to you  :D :Thmbsup:

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2007, 12:25 AM »
Never mind, it is almost midnight and the newborn insists on keeping me up to post to you

;D

Happy Days!

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2007, 04:09 AM »
Got a prompt response from Faronics about maintenance costs for single purchases of DeepFreeze. Here is the response ...:

The cost of our Maintenance package is basically 20% off the total cost of your license. For example, if you buy 1 copy of the Deep Freeze Standard with 1-year maintenance included at $35.95, 20% off that price would be $5.99, which would be the price to pay to renew that maintenance package the following year. If you buy 3 licenses at $107.85 total, the price of the Maintenance Package for all three would be $17.97.
-Carol Haynes (June 11, 2007, 03:24 PM)

Yes, it is quite a bummer, she made, so the example becomes very important, quote: "if you buy 3 licenses at $107.85 total, the price of the Maintenance Package for all three would be $17.97".
So of not off.  8)

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2007, 04:17 AM »
Wow! 20% of the purchase price per year for maintenance is SWEET! I ASSUME (yes, I know, this makes an ASS out of U and ME) that where the Faronics rep has written

1-year maintenance included at $35.95, 20% off that price would be $5.99, which would be the price to pay to renew that maintenance package the following year.

OFF = OF? Otherwise rather than paying $5.99 per year for maintenance one would be looking at $39.95 less $5.99, which would be $29.96.

Just curious.

LOL - 20% off is correct - the original price is the cost of the software + 20% for the first year of maintenance.

If you work out: ($39.95 / 120) * 20 you get $5.99 for the maintenance.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2007, 04:22 AM »
Yes, it is quite a bummer, she made, so the example becomes very important, quote: "if you buy 3 licenses at $107.85 total, the price of the Maintenance Package for all three would be $17.97".
So of not off.  8)

Nope - $107.85 already includes 20% for the first year of maintenance - that means the $107.85 consists of the software cost of $89.88 and the maintenance of $17.97 (which is 20% of $89.88).

So it is OFF not OF

It is just a very confusing way of pricing - it would be much more transparent and easy to understand if they simply said three copies of the software costs $89.88 + 20% annual maintenance subscription which is compulsory in the first year (but the software continues to work if you don't take out maintenance in subsequent years).

By the way I asked because I have three computers and there didn't seem to be any discount for multiple purchases on the webstore.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 04:24 AM by Carol Haynes »

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2007, 09:56 AM »
Thanks for the clarification, Carol! That makes sense and still seems a good deal, just not clearly stated.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2007, 10:37 AM »
So of not off. 

Nope - $107.85 already includes 20% for the first year of maintenance - that means the $107.85 consists of the software cost of $89.88 and the maintenance of $17.97 (which is 20% of $89.88).

So it is OFF not OF
-Carol Haynes (June 12, 2007, 04:22 AM)

I too will have to thank you, Carol. You took me straight back to school!  :-[

It is much harder to think than anyone imagines.
-Zinkernagel *

* Peter Zinkernagel: Sadly unknown Danish philosopher.

[Edit: misspelled Zinkernagel]
« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 02:45 PM by Curt »

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2007, 11:03 AM »
You are both welcome ... for my sins I used to be a maths teacher ... now I'm just a layabout  :-[

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2007, 11:09 AM »
Heh, heh... I'm supposed to be an observational scientist and yet didn't even notice that $5.99 doesn't work out to 20% of $34.95 (I at least flagged it as seeming a bit odd, but didn't give it a further though!).

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2007, 11:22 AM »
I used to be a maths teacher ...
-Carol Haynes (June 12, 2007, 11:03 AM)

I did not. In fact, I didn't even show up to the maths classes... But of course, that would explain some part of my misunderstanding. Another part would be the language, I guess. It is no secret that English by far is not my first language. Sometimes I think I have made myself very understable, only to realize I was not understood at all. No, I am not talking about my marriage! (I am a batchelor). Only today I tried this situation: I wrote the (French) author of RegSeeker and explained, no, read for yourself and tell me what you think I wrote:

I thank you for a very fine and free RegSeeker 1.55, and ask of you to make an (installed) upgrade version with Registry Indexing, in order to minimize search-time, please. I use RegSeeker several times a week and are waisting quite a lot of time just waiting.
-Feature Request

The poor guy had no idea what I was talking about. Do you? Anyway; this is not a guessing contest; I am merely pointing out that language can block bridges, and I often don't understand the maths nor the details of the language. But this time I guess it was Zinkernagel's sentence all alone: I didn't think hard enough, if at all...

[Edit: typos, etc]
« Last Edit: July 01, 2007, 06:45 AM by Curt »

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2007, 11:31 AM »
Curt - I understood your note to the RegSeeker developer fine... I think! What you're after is a new feature that will index the contents of your registry to speed up searches.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2007, 11:33 AM »
Thank you, Darwin!  :-*
But how would you explain this to the French author?

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2007, 05:48 PM »
In French ?  :-* :Thmbsup: :-* :Thmbsup: :P

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2007, 06:10 PM »
Remerciez-vous, madame, vous avez été très gentil à moi
j'essaierai de se souvenir que vous m'avez aidé beaucoup plusieurs fois
   :P 

(-says Babylon)

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2007, 06:20 PM »
 :Thmbsup: My French isn't as good as it once was - here is what Babelfish told me:

Thank you, Madam, you were very nice with me I will try to remember that you helped me much several times

Much appreciated ...

Don't forget you may be paranoid about your English - there is no need. You speak (well type - I haven't heard your accent) very good English and far batter than I can attempt in any other language!

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2007, 07:03 PM »
..- I haven't heard your accent) ..
-Carol Haynes (June 12, 2007, 06:20 PM)

I grew up with BBC, so actually my pronunciation is close to perfect British  :Thmbsup:
- only; my vocabulary is very small because I was everywhere else than in school...  :-[

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2007, 07:11 PM »
Curt: as a fellow Dane, your English seems pretty decent to me. The only thing I've really noticed is that sometimes you use Danish-style word order, which I also often do when I'm in a hurry... and that's rarely a big deal anyway, if you care more about being understood than about elegance :)
- carpe noctem

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2007, 12:45 AM »
Thank you, f0dder.

Looking at the time stamp in your post, I noticed that it probably was because you were tired and wanted to go to bed, that was the reason for you being "in a hurry" when you wrote this post. Or what?
 :P

---

So no-one is/are going to test this Returnil Virtual System  then?   :tellme:

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2007, 05:48 AM »
So no-one is/are going to test this Returnil Virtual System  then?   :tellme:
Not me - at least not on a live box. And I don't have much use for the technology...
- carpe noctem

Coldmoon

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2007, 12:05 PM »
Hello everyone,
Thank you for your interest in Returnil. I am the official US rep for the company and look forward to help answering your questions about the software.

For those concerned over cost of licensing, please be aware that Returnil is now FREE for personal home use on a single computer.

Home page: http://www.returnilv...system.com/index.htm
Personal Edition (FREE): http://www.returnilv...iles/rvspersonal.htm
FAQ's: http://www.returnilv...index_files/faqs.htm

Instead of making a long post to reply to every question asked to this point, I think it would be of more use to reference the current discussions at the Wilder's Security Forums:

"Returnil": http://www.wildersse...wthread.php?t=174636
"Returnil - Keeping Good Changes": http://www.wildersse...wthread.php?t=178162
"[Official Release] Returnil Virtual System 2007": http://www.wildersse...wthread.php?t=178081

If you have remaining questions, please feel free to ask in this thread and I will follow up as quickly as possible. We value all feedback whether it is positive or negative. The first validates our work and the second is seen as an opportunity for us to improve the software.

___
With Kind Regards
Mike