ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Returnil Virtual System

(1/9) > >>

Curt:
http://www.returnilvirtualsystem.com/index_files/returnilvirtualsystem.htm
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download5451.html

I don't have the required technical insight to test this (I don't even understand HOW it can be done if there is no free RAM), but I really think "someone" should give it a thorough "member mini review", as the idea itself sounds interesting:

Simple, Smart and Strong Approach to PC Safety

Note From the Authors:
“All testers are eligible (by e-mail request) for free 30-day licensing during the Public Beta. Moreover, those testers who provide the best feedback will receive a free, one-year license with our gratitude for helping make this Public Beta a success.

It is time to reject outdated thinking and get proactive with your system integrity protection! By participating in the Public Beta, you will be verifying and supporting a completely new approach to computer security. Moreover, you will be helping yourself by discovering that security does not have to be complicated to be effective and relevant!

We have completed work on two new features we will be adding this coming week for testing. The first is an option that will allow the authorized user to change their language preferences from within the RVS GUI. The second feature will add an optional button to Internet Explorer that allows the user to turn on System Protection from within their browser. Fire Fox and Opera support are still under development, but we should have something ready for testing within the next couple of weeks.”

Returnil Virtual System is a powerful technology that clones a copy of your Windows system into RAM. It is quite simply the most advanced Virtual Partition solution available. Returnil Virtual System protects your computer from harmful viruses, spyware and unwanted programs, preserves your computer settings, and ensures your Internet Privacy. Simply restart your computer to erase all changes.

When the Returnil protection is ON, your Windows system is running on a virtual partition meaning that every single change in the system partition actually takes place in the memory. Therefore all data and modifications will be lost after your system is rebooted. When the Returnil Protection is OFF, you can install or remove any programs, create documents or download your favorite music as you normally do. All changes in the system partition are saved to your real hard drive. By restarting you PC, Returnil will make your system partition identical and fully functional according to the original configurations.

Main Features:
· Stops the danger of an online attack
· Protects your system from any attack by Viruses, Trojans, Worms, Adware, Spyware and Hackers
· Ensures and protects your internet privacy
· Saves you time and money by ensuring that your hard drive will not be infected with any harmful malware or that any of your data will be lost
· No need for regular daily virus and spyware database updates
· No need for the necessary disk defragmentation of your system partition
· Can read emails that may contain viruses or spyware ensuring that your important messages will not be missed
· Saves time that is needed to erase Cookies, URL history, Temporary File Cache, Recycle Bin, Clipboard, Windows Log Files, Windows Temporary Files
· Leaves absolutely no traces of your computer activities
· Eliminates all activities even if your computer is powered-off or crashes
· Eliminates the danger of testing new software
· Offers stronger, simpler and smarter protection for your PC
· Speeds up your web surfing and computer processing
· Seamless integrated with Windows Operating System
· Easy to use and setup

Returnil Virtual System is subscription based starting @ $24.95 for a single user license per year. This download is a 15 day trial.

Supports W2K, XP, 2000/2003 Server, Vista 32 bit

--- End quote ---

Returnil Virtual System

Carol Haynes:
Sounds remarkably like Faronics DeepFreeze except that that is used in education and business and is an established solid product (not beta). Faronics has an annual update subscription but is not subscription based (ie. it will continue to work if you don't update)!

Curt:
Yes, Carol, this sounds very much the same. Only difference I could find is that the freezer is targeting multi-user environments only, and the return thingy seems to be targeting single-users. I expect the subscription will prove to be a problem if Returnil really think they can charge the users every year regardsless of updates.  But they are both way too expensive to update, I think; this is not some daily updating anti-virus program, is it.

But still; I think the idea sounds great - though I don't understand the consequences if you only have very little free RAM:
Returnil Virtual System is a powerful technology that clones a copy of your Windows system into RAM.
--- End quote ---
:tellme:

Carol Haynes:
DeepFreeze Standard is designed for standalone workstations (ie. single users) at $36 which doesn't seem too expensive and includes 12 months of updates. The Enterprise version is really aimed at organisations with central administration.

I haven't tried DeepFreeze (though I know of schools that have used it) but I can't see that it would be terribly memory hungry - presumably as memory fills up some of the 'session' data is written to disc and then discarded when you reboot.

Anyone tried either of these products?

Curt:
$36 and $25 are okay prices! They may even be cheap!  :up:
It is the year after year price that is offending me.    :down:

--

"Deep Freeze Standard is changing the way IT Professionals protect small multi-user environments. Simple, robust, and cost effective Deep Freeze Standard is ideal for computing environments with 10 or less workstations."
--- End quote ---

- they may want to target the single user as well, but they don't say so.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version