ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Making the switch-02: Which Linux distro to choose?

<< < (4/6) > >>

Darwin:
Raining here, too, Lashiec. We had a week of temperatures near or at 30 C at the end of May and now it's rain, rain, rain. Kind of comforting as it conforms to the stereotype of life in the Pacific Northwest! Summer is going to be HOT here (mid to high 30's where I am, over 40 in the interior of BC). I find your use of the term "enjoying" interesting as I find anything over about 27 too hot!

Anyway, I'm still enjoying the ubuntu experience. I'm not so thrilled about using wine. For some reason, apps installed this way are blind to the partition that contains my apps, or at least so far as I can tell. I'm not actually that concerned about wine at this point - more interested in checking out Linux apps - so haven't really pursued the matter. Will try to do so later in the day/week.

jared1999:
One of the things I really enjoy about Linux distributions is that they are more or less tuned to a certain skill level (and philosophy). Windows often wants to do some hand-holding no matter how proficient you are.

This has been my journey so far: I started out with the typical distros; Mandriva, Fedora, Ubuntu. Then I wanted more flexibility and power, and moved to Gentoo. Gentoo is great (and fast!), especially as a server OS, but compiling everything from source can sometimes be very time consuming. So I moved on to my current distro, Arch Linux, which in short can be described as Gentoo without compilation (but you can if you want to). If you're really hardcore (and have a lot of free time), you can also make your own distro via Linux From Scratch.

In the Linux world there is something for everyone, which is both its strength (diversity) and weakness (too much diversity).

Lashiec:
So, is that paid for, or is it just stealing?

I'm curious. Not bringing judgement here.
-Renegade (June 10, 2007, 12:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

Depending on the country you live. The MP3 algorithm is not patented in every country, so you can use it without worrying about the Fraunhoffer/Thomson/Alcatel/Lucent lawyers coming after you. What are the countries? I don't know, but so far no one sued individuals, so...

Edvard:
Renegade: When a Linux folk says "non-free" he doesn't mean that if you use it you're stealing, it means it is not available in source code so you are "free" to do as you see fit with it.

...and here comes the obligatory link to Wikipedia's entry for Free Software

Edvard:
OK, I dug this topic back up because I just found a very nice tool for choosing a distro.
It asks a few questions and then directs you to a handful of distros to choose from.

http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version