topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 6:05 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Poll

How do you feel about DivX?

Great!!! Lemme have it!!!
2 (16.7%)
Uh, What's that?
3 (25%)
Nah, I'll stick with XviD ;)
7 (58.3%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Voting closed: June 09, 2007, 06:35 PM

Last post Author Topic: DivX Pro for free  (Read 17384 times)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: DivX Pro for free
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2007, 04:37 PM »
Dear Carol.
I have read your post several times by now, and all I can hear you say is that I really must get that IT mechanic to have a look at my old PC. But Thanks a lot for trying!  :Thmbsup:

- said the IT-analphabetic Dane  8)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2007, 04:42 PM »
On the Poll:
I feel the DivX community is kind of a closed Stage6 society, so I would vote for both the first and the last option, because the best DivX movies really are impressive, but I don't like closed clubs. Only, I didn't vote at all.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2007, 04:44 PM »
I know DivX is a closed format - but only in the sense that MPEG and other common formats are.

One of the advantages of DivX is the growing number of applications that support DivX as a format and also the huge number of devices out there that can play DivX discs.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2007, 05:02 PM »
Yes, Carol, but did you find any DivX movies on the Internet, other than at Stage6 ?
Cause I haven't.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2007, 05:27 PM »
I did a Goggle search on "Download DivX Movies" and rather a lot of links appeared (not all Stage6).

Can't say I have tried any of them because I don't generally download Movies but there seems to be a fair amount of choice - though how much is legal ....

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2007, 05:31 PM »
Simplest solution then is to use some imaging software to backup the old hard disc (something like Acronis TrueImage will do that from a bootable CD so you don't need a working windows - in fact you can use that to back up at file level too - though it would be incredibly slow).

You could head over to vnunet.com and download Paragon Drive Copy 8 Personal SE. It *looks* like the links are still active (if not contact me off thread as I took advantage of this offer and have never had any use for it - I have Acronis True Image 9 Home and 9.1 Workstation so never even installed the Paragon product). These imaging apps are really quite easy to use...

Two other alternatives for you (that shouldn't require an IT person to sort it out for you): 1. bung the old drive into a free bay in your new XP machine and access it that way (you can probably just delete all of the program files and windows installation while leaving the files that you want, and use the disk for storage) or 2. buy a cheap 3.5" external enclosure and connect it to your new machine. Then all you need to do is navigate to it in Explorer and copy over whatever data you want. It's REALLY EASY (I've done this both ways!).

Good luck - Mike