topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 7:00 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: Customise Save Dialog  (Read 10193 times)

Fred Nerd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
IDEA: Customise Save Dialog
« on: April 23, 2007, 06:29 AM »
Most of the web pages or documents that I save go to one of about 3 folders. Each time I save something, however, I have to find those folders again (I use FF2). I was wondering if someone knows of, or could write, a program which could modify the save dialog so that, next to "Desktop" and "My documents", I could also have 3 custom folders which I could then select with one click.

Thanks for your help, you're all legends.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: Customise Save Dialog
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 06:34 AM »
Welcome to the site fred  :Thmbsup:
May I suggest: https://www.donation...Extenders/index.html

(ps. filebox extender has now become freeware: http://www.hyperioni....com/files/index.asp)

Fred Nerd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 05:16 AM »
Thanks heaps for the links. Filebox Extender works excellent. I would recommend it for anyone else who is looking for something like that. It saves a lot of time.

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 06:48 AM »
Release versions of Filebox Extender does not support Vista yet, however the author is working on it and you can read about the progress and download a beta.

I'm testing it right now.

Kruskal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 01:56 PM »
Most of the web pages or documents that I save go to one of about 3 folders. Each time I save something, however, I have to find those folders again (I use FF2). I was wondering if someone knows of, or could write, a program which could modify the save dialog so that, next to "Desktop" and "My documents", I could also have 3 custom folders which I could then select with one click.

Thanks for your help, you're all legends.
TweakUI for XP has this option: CommonDialogs/Places Bar.  http://www.microsoft...oys/xppowertoys.mspx

Vincent

Fred Nerd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007, 05:34 AM »
That is better than filebox extender because it doesn't need to have anything running in the tray; the only problem with it is that it is only customiseable to the limited amount of folders that it lets you choose from.
Is there any way to make it add custom folders?

thanks

Kruskal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2007, 10:07 PM »
That is better than filebox extender because it doesn't need to have anything running in the tray; the only problem with it is that it is only customiseable to the limited amount of folders that it lets you choose from.

thanks
It's true that there are a limited number of folders which can be specified from the pull-down menu.  But y

thanks

thanks
It's true that there are a limited number of folders which can be specified with the pull-down menu, you can type in any path you wish.  But it's true that you are limited to five.

Vincent

Fred Nerd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2007, 11:46 PM »
It doesn't work for me. I tried that straight away and it would let me type in whatever I wanted, it even made a button for me, but nothing happens when I click on it.
Is there any special syntax that needs to be used?

Thanks

Kruskal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2007, 10:38 AM »
It doesn't work for me. I tried that straight away and it would let me type in whatever I wanted, it even made a button for me, but nothing happens when I click on it.
Is there any special syntax that needs to be used?

Thanks
I have "C:\TEMP" typed in with no problem.  In fact, after typing "C:\" a menu popped-up showing all the directories immediately in the C drive.

Vincent

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2007, 01:15 PM »
ps fred i like your avatar  ;D

Fred Nerd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2007, 05:11 AM »
Got it now. thanks :up:
I have to type in the directory right from C:\.
I was sure I tried that before but I think I must have been using / by accident because I remember it used to run out of room for letters which it isn't doing now.
Also it doesn't work to select, say, My Documents and then add \<directory>, the whole address needs to be put in.

So now I have exactly what I was after originally. Thanks everybody  :D

PS I have no idea who should get the credit for the picture I use as an avatar. I got it in an email  of funny pictures. It was entitled "How to tell if you spend too much time on your computer".

Its me in the future.

Kruskal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2007, 10:37 AM »
Got it now. thanks :up:
I have to type in the directory right from C:\.
I was sure I tried that before but I think I must have been using / by accident because I remember it used to run out of room for letters which it isn't doing now.
Also it doesn't work to select, say, My Documents and then add \<directory>, the whole address needs to be put in.

So now I have exactly what I was after originally. Thanks everybody  :D

PS I have no idea who should get the credit for the picture I use as an avatar. I got it in an email  of funny pictures. It was entitled "How to tell if you spend too much time on your computer".

Its me in the future.
Yes, if you look at the actual format in the Registry, entries like My Documents are integers and the full paths are strings.

I was actually making this change directly in the Registry until I discovered it in TweakUI.  It's not all that much harder (except finding out what all the integers mean).

Glad you got it working -- Vincent