ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Quick search text box for Windows Explorer [XP]

<< < (2/3) > >>

nosh:
Thanks cmpm - I tried it but the "search box" is actually just a filter for the current folder, it doesn't search recursively.

Darwin:
My gut is telling me that Lashiec and Hirudin are on the right track - surely the default hot keys are the quickest, easiest way to go? OR are you looking for a simpler interface for entering the search text into?

nosh:
I've always used the keyboard shortcuts (Win+F if I'm outside Explorer or F3 from within) but the pane that pops up to the left narrows down the default view and once the results are displayed the default view is lost altogether (I'm aware I can navigate to it using the Back button). I was just hoping someone had made a better way of doing things - maybe an inline ajax like search box that  displays the results in a side pane without making the main folder view disappear.

Another annoying aspect of the default search is, it won't look for hidden files/folders till you specifically ask it to (ie: if you don't want a half-assed search there's a couple of more clicks involved) - fortunately there's a registry patch to fix this.     

Darwin:
FileLocator Pro will replace Windows Explorer and even comes with its own hotkeys (Win-Alt-F3 or Win-Alt-F) for use outside of Windows Explorer - it will replace the CTRL-F function within Windows Explorer. You could also try our very own Veign's Seeker. I've used it and like it a lot as well. Can't remember off-hand if it will replace the native search feature though...

cmpm:
In this list

https://www.donationcoder.com/Software/Skrommel/

you will find "find", perhaps it can be embedded in windows explorer

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version