ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

The top 10 dead (or dying) computer skills

(1/2) > >>

app103:
Those in search of eternal life need look no further than the computer industry. Here, last gasps are rarely taken, as aging systems crank away in back rooms across the U.S., not unlike 1970s reruns on Nickelodeon's TV Land. So while it may not be exactly easy for Novell NetWare engineers and OS/2 administrators to find employers who require their services, it's very difficult to declare these skills -- or any computer skill, really -- dead.
--- End quote ---

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9020942

Lashiec:
Cobol and C... this is still being taught here, and OMG, Cobol is awful for what I saw. I try not to get that particular subject next year. C, in the other hand... I have a C program pending, and I have to program it with VI! :(

I found curious that they mention C and not Assembler.

Eóin:
Of course C is still hugely popular over in the opensource *nix world. But I definitely think the article is right that if all you've got is C on your resume you ain't going to be very employable.

steeladept:
Cobol and C... this is still being taught here, and OMG, Cobol is awful for what I saw. I try not to get that particular subject next year. C, in the other hand... I have a C program pending, and I have to program it with VI! :(

I found curious that they mention C and not Assembler.
-Lashiec (June 05, 2007, 06:01 AM)
--- End quote ---

Don't forget, Assembler is frequently used, just not for applications.  It is more often used for low level programming of hardware.  At least from what my Computer Engineering friends keep telling me...

app103:
I am about to learn C for the purpose of developing software for my pocket pc. I can't do it in Delphi.  :(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version