ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

how to reduce pagefile usage?

<< < (6/10) > >>

Darwin:
Thanks steeladept - you've more or less confirmed what I was thinking. I think I'm just "jonesing" for a new computer and see more RAM as a cheap fix until I can afford a new one. However, I don't think it's going to make a huge difference other than the dent in my bank account! Still, I'll try monitoring my resources for bottlenecks and see if there is any justification.

mouser:
you may not experience a major change once inside of a program, but i suspect you will find your computer noticably "snappier" in switching between programs that are running and starting up new programs, etc.

Grorgy:
For what its worth Darwin, my laptop only has 1 memory slot, so i get the 256 on the mother board and whatever i can afford in the other, (up to 1 gb) i did have 256k in there for a total of 512 and the system had become remarkably unstable, BSODs regularly, so i upped it to a 512 (an extra 256k) and its stabilised a lot, its a bit faster to boot, (it is noticeable, without using timers or anything) and only very occasional BSODs. The difference in regular usage is less noticeable (the processor is a celeron M 1.5g) Notebook memory is a lot more expensive than its desk counterpart to, well it is here in Australia, but $150 has probably meant it will last another 2 or 3 yrs

Darwin:
I don't know... I WANT the RAM!! (Guess that means I do know!). I'll just have to see what I can turn up on-line. The Gateway price seems competitive - even good compared to the Canadian resellers I've looked at (found 1GB sticks for $132 Cdn. but shipping was going to be $23!) BUT if it's shipping from the States I'm going to get spanked at the border by customs.

cmpm:
hmmmm....what if after 'no paging file' reboot into safe mode-defrag-reboot-then set your paging file.

And I know ms defrag is surely not the best defragger.

Wonder if defrag will run in safe mode, should I reckon...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version