ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Looking to do high quality video conversion

<< < (3/8) > >>

Eóin:
Looks like you're forced to create image files with ImgBurn (which makes sense).-Hirudin (June 04, 2007, 12:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

I had thought the same thing too for a while, but in fact when in the build mode you can set a writeable cd or dvd as a target device allowing you to skip the intermediate iso stage if you wish.

Hirudin:
Looks like you're forced to create image files with ImgBurn (which makes sense).-Hirudin (June 04, 2007, 12:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

I had thought the same thing too for a while, but in fact when in the build mode you can set a writeable cd or dvd as a target device allowing you to skip the intermediate iso stage if you wish.
-Eóin (June 04, 2007, 05:10 PM)
--- End quote ---
I meant while ripping DVDs, looks like you have to make an image. Since I almost always process the DVD contents before burning I prefer to use the actual DVD files.

That Build mode works great as well! It was also a recent find for me.

Carol Haynes:
I find DVDFab Platinum to be really very useful. It comes with a lifetime of free upgrades (and it is prolifically updated - practically everytime I open the app there is a new version to download).

It rips pretty much anything you throw at it (either to ISO files or to a VIDEO_TS folder) and will resize/bit copy/reduce to main film etc. (even on the fly) and burn a copy of any DVD but also allows recoding for iPods etc and has a generic convert option which produces XvidD plus the original audio format or MP3 audio in the form of an AVI file.

I haven't tried the generic conversion but the rest of the app is excellent and remarkably quick.

I have attached a couple of screen shots so you can see what is there but I suggest you donwload the trial from

www.dvdfab.com

the only drawback is  that it is now $50 - but it really is a pretty much one click automated app that works brilliantly and the speed of development makes the price tag quite cheap.

wr975:
I gave Gordian Knot a try last night, seemed to create a decent video. Very automated, but I didn't see many options... (I even tried right clicking on the program!). I have a suspicion maybe I have to change the options in the Xvid program, or in some .ini somewhere though.

Unlike some people, I'm not happy just letting a program "do it's thing" when I know there's a ton of options to be had. For instance live TV shows probably need different options than cartoons to create the highest quality video.
-Hirudin (June 04, 2007, 12:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

Gordian Knot gives you 100% access to all the options a codec offers. :-)

See the three guides here: http://www.doom9.org/xvid-guides.htm

Gordian Knot is already a bit dated because all development went into AutoGK. IMHO AutoGK is the best one-click solution around, but I still prefer Gordian Knot (together with the included Robot4Rip). It's a bit of a learning process to get used to the program, but after years of using + a couple of mouse gestures (using StrokeIt) I can create XviD encodings (ripped from DVD) with minimum work in a quality and size I want.

For ripping copy protected DVDs I'm using AnyDVD. This tool allows me to continue using DVDDecrypter and DVDShrink + lets me watch DVDs without seeing forced ads/trailers/PiratesAreCriminals. And the best: Lifetime updates.  :Thmbsup:

Carol Haynes:
Just tried DVDFab 'generic' conversion to produce an AVI (Xvid + MP3) and it seems to work great. You can set fixed bit rates, output sizes, frame rates etc. and is all very easy to use.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version