topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 4:43 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: teracopy: copy your files faster  (Read 119473 times)

Tekzel

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: teracopy: copy your files faster
« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2007, 10:16 AM »
I hadn't visited this thread in a bit, and decided to check in. 

Thanks for posting those speed comparisons, but for me, the speed issue isn't why I use SuperCopier.  The speed difference is pretty trivial all in all, but what I use it for is the ability to throttle copy speed (I do use this feature) and to allow XP to not just bomb on copy or move errors.  I also like the ability to insert or remove items from a running copy.  So, for me its a no brainer:  SuperCopier hands down.  I just wish they would make it work properly under Vista.  Even with Vista's enhancements to the copy/move dialog (no longer just dies on errors for one) I still much prefer the way SuperCopier works.  I tried TeraCopy and just didn't like it at all.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: June 18, 2007, 09:16 PM »
for the same reasons as Tekzel, i'm sticking with SuperCopier too even though the website is in French (most of it, anyway) and the program is stuck on Beta 1.9 since last August.. :)

scdepliersmall.png

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: June 18, 2007, 10:06 PM »
I've got Supercopier installed now as well. Haven't had any excuses to test it out yet, but nothing untoward has happened WRT my system so far...

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: June 18, 2007, 10:35 PM »
i use it mainly to transfer files from my hard-drive to thumb drives and also to my mobile.. i like the way it sits in the tray doing the job unobtrusively.. :up:

Tekzel

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: June 19, 2007, 08:18 AM »
i use it mainly to transfer files from my hard-drive to thumb drives and also to my mobile.. i like the way it sits in the tray doing the job unobtrusively.. :up:

Yea, I find it to be a pretty well behaved little app.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: June 20, 2007, 01:55 AM »
Yup, SuperCopier seems very stable and I, too, am impressed by its unobtrusiveness (is that a word?) - until I read lanux' note above, I wasn't even aware/had forgotten that it runs in my systray. Nice.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: June 20, 2007, 02:49 AM »
... am impressed by its unobtrusiveness (is that a word?) ...

wonder no more, Darwin.. :)

ws-dict-1.png

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #57 on: June 20, 2007, 02:52 AM »
 ;D good one lanux, still its inelegantness ( :o ) is something to admire  :D

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #58 on: June 20, 2007, 04:24 AM »
Quick Synopsis:

FastCopy =  :-\ Not bad at all, very light. Excellent for copying a disc to your hard drive (great if you use nLite lots). Tons of command switches, and source code available. Shows really detailed info in the dialog. Automatically saves used paths. Has no move function in context menu, but instead a delete feature. No system hooks.

A few additiona and corrections: SuperCopier2 does not work on vista unfortunately (tried latest beta), even with compatibility settings. Both drag and drop and shell integration are broken.

FastCopy has no system hooks but you can create a context menu (or its own submenu) items to copy and delete folders using it. As it works on vista I will try this instead of robocopying things over via the commandline just now.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #59 on: June 20, 2007, 09:02 AM »
Yes - I've loaded FastCopy onto a thumbdrive - very nice  :Thmbsup:

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #60 on: June 20, 2007, 09:24 AM »
still its inelegantness ( :o ) is something to admire 

"No matches were found for inelegantness".
-My Dictionaries
:tellme:

[Edit: Is it "inelegance"-ness?]
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 09:28 AM by Curt »

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #61 on: June 20, 2007, 09:48 AM »
Probably just "inelegance" would suffice... but I am pretty fond of making these kind of words up, too - they often just feel/sound "right" at the time and modifying a word like this can highlight/add emphasis to your point. One of the joys of the English language is how plastic it is (and one of the banes of those trying to try learn it as a second language!).
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 09:49 AM by Darwin »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #62 on: June 20, 2007, 09:49 AM »
On page two I told about Silent Copy, but I also have another FREE one you haven't mentioned yet: TrustCopy from DimaWare.

TrustCopy v1.0 - Intelligent file-copy tool 

TrustCopy will keep trying to copy your file until success !

In case that you need to replace some file, but this file is locked (opened) by some process/user, you don't need any more to try again and again and again.... TrustCopy will do it for you.

TrustCopy.GIF

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #63 on: June 20, 2007, 10:01 AM »
..modifying a word like this can highlight/add emphasis to your point. One of the joys of the English language is how plastic it is (and one of the banes of those trying to try learn it as a second language!).

Maybe it is the other way around   :o
You see; we all speak a little English, at least. In my part of the world we are also taught to speak German and a little French, a little Latin, Russian or Spanish. The point being, that we like to fool around with foreighn words to amplify or joke. In fact, I would imagine the Americans to be maybe THE (western) people that are the least able to play with words... Only; we are at an American site, so you wouldn't understand my Danglish joke.

Nighted

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Meat Popsicle
    • View Profile
    • Nighted@deviantART
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #64 on: June 20, 2007, 01:01 PM »
FastCopy has been updated to version 1.55. Using it on my Flash drive now. :Thmbsup:

If I ever need to back up a huge amount of data on another machine again, it's good to know it's waiting there ready to go.
I`m a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class, especially since I rule.

elpresi

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #65 on: June 24, 2007, 07:40 PM »
I am not endorsing Teracopy in any way, but I noticed that it just got upgraded to v1.2:
http://www.codesector.com/history-tc.php
« Last Edit: June 25, 2007, 05:58 AM by elpresi »

DesertEagle

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Code Sector
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #66 on: June 25, 2007, 12:44 PM »
Installed and running = installed  :-[ Just me being careless with my choice of words. I don't know what was causing this. Essentially, after a reboot (first since installing teracopy yesterday) this morning my computer was sluggish right off the bat and DOpus was frozen - I had to kill dopus.exe via TM (and noted at that time the CPU problem reported above). I'd been noticing explorer.exe and its RAM over the last 24 hours or so - 43MB VM is normal but RAM is usually well below 20MB and often below 15. Anyway, after killing DOPus' lister this morning the only thing I could think of that I've changed over the last 24 hours was teracopy, so I uninstalled it and immediately noted that explorer.exe fell to 13MB and when I restarted DOPus.exe it started at 0% CPU and 30MB VM and has stayed there (even after opening a lister) - entirely normal on my machine.

TeraCopy activated only when a copy/move operation is started, so it doesn't make any impact on your system if you just installed it.

DesertEagle

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Code Sector
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #67 on: June 25, 2007, 01:35 PM »
I've just encountered what might be a pretty serious bug in Teracopy.
I was updating some CD writing related utilities (cdspeed.exe, drivespeed.exe, infotool.exe) and downloaded and unzipped the latest versions on my desktop. I then dropped cdspeed.exe to the folder where the original was located. Instead of giving me an overwrite warning, Teracopy just popped up the copy box and closed it - it didn't overwrite the file, it basically didn't do anything. I know for certain the utility wasn't locked by any other process. After fiddling around a bit it seems to me that Teracopy will not do anything if the exe file being overwritten is different. If it is identical to the file trying to overwrite it, it works normally & pops up the overwrite warning. I'm not sure if this'll be replicated on other systems but it seems likely.

Not sure how did you get this result, perhaps file was locked. Version 1.2 detects locked files well and even allows you to view locking process.

In any case, if this is serious bug, you should send message to the technical support first. I can fix TeraCopy errors, not people on the forum. If bug is really serious, I'll fix it and upload new version on the website right after I read about this bug.

Thanks to LifeHacker and other sites, more then 30 000 people downloaded TeraCopy by now, and no serious bugs was reported. A lot of changes was made in versions 1.1 & 1.2, based on user support tickets, including Unicode support.

---
Web: www.codesector.com  ICQ: 6848780
« Last Edit: June 25, 2007, 01:36 PM by DesertEagle »

Nighted

• Joined in 2005
  • Meat Popsicle
    • View Profile
    • Nighted@deviantART
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #68 on: June 25, 2007, 01:43 PM »
Holy crap, you're alive. Why don't you fix Audio Sliders and Direct Folders while you're at it?

BTW, your "technical support" is a joke. Fix that and maybe you will 'fix' some people on the forum.
I`m a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class, especially since I rule.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2007, 01:59 PM by Nighted »

DesertEagle

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Code Sector
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #69 on: June 25, 2007, 02:05 PM »
Holy crap, you're alive. Why don't you fix Audio Sliders and Direct Folders while you're at it?

BTW, your "technical support" is a joke.

Direct Folders:

Open file C:\Documents and Settings\%USER%\Application Data\Direct Folders\Options.ini and edit last 2 lines:

LauncherFile=explorer /select,
LauncherFolder=explorer

DesertEagle

• Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Code Sector
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #70 on: June 25, 2007, 03:51 PM »
Spent about a hour trying to reproduce situation when Audio Sliders interferes with full screen games with no luck. If anybody discovers this behavior, please let me know and test also v4.21 at http://www.codesecto...iles/asliders421.exe (just removed some code related to this problem).

Nighted

• Joined in 2005
  • Meat Popsicle
    • View Profile
    • Nighted@deviantART
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #71 on: June 25, 2007, 04:33 PM »
Ok, well, that worked. Now that I've waited over 7 months to actually be able to use the new version, I guess I'll soon find out if it has the same problem of using up to 90 percent of my CPU cycles as 3.2 often does...to the point where it cripples my system and must be stopped.

The full screen problem regarding Audio Sliders has affected others as well. They, like myself, have ceased using the software as a result. I will try the version you have posted, and despite the belated support, make efforts to report any findings.

Thank you. ;)

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #72 on: June 25, 2007, 04:48 PM »
I had to copy 200Gb of files and tried a few of these programs mentioned in this thread.

Based on the performance information submitted I did stick to explorer (or the file queue in wincommander) at first for small files, but they do get hung up if any question turns up. Which is annoying when trying to move lots of files over 1 day...

Of the ones I tried teracopy did feel the easiest and slickest to use, and the speed copying virtual CD images and mp3s was very good. Best of all it didnt get hung up waiting, which is what i needed. It will stay on machine.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #73 on: June 25, 2007, 05:29 PM »
It would be interesting to know if any of you TeraCopy users had it replace Explorer's copy functions, and integrate with the context menu?

Shell integration.
TeraCopy can completely replace Explorer copy and move functions, allowing you work with files as usual.
-Code Sector : Products : TeraCopy

:tellme:

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #74 on: June 26, 2007, 06:56 AM »
I did, and I also let it add 2 buttons to windows commander's interface