ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

teracopy: copy your files faster

<< < (4/28) > >>

lanux128:
speaking of Robocopy, noutters has written a script with GUI called RobocopyScripter for queueing the copy/move task.. here's the link for RobocopyScripter.

Darwin:
Hmmm.... this may be a coincidence, but explorer.exe ate up over 40MB of VM/Private Bytes and DOPus 9 was sitting at over 40% CPU while I had teracopy installed and running. I exited and uninstalled it and all is well.

edbro:
Hmmm.... this may be a coincidence, but explorer.exe ate up over 40MB of VM/Private Bytes and DOPus 9 was sitting at over 40% CPU while I had teracopy installed and running. I exited and uninstalled it and all is well.
-Darwin (June 09, 2007, 11:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's strange. Mine is very stable on XP Pro SP2 with DirOpus 8.

When you say "installed and running" do you mean that you called up the program interface? On my system all I have to do is access it from the shell context menu. Teracopy doesn't need to be "running". It appears to be just a dll call. Just for grins, I called up the main program and it still only used 3.3MB of ram.

Darwin:
Installed and running = installed  :-[ Just me being careless with my choice of words. I don't know what was causing this. Essentially, after a reboot (first since installing teracopy yesterday) this morning my computer was sluggish right off the bat and DOpus was frozen - I had to kill dopus.exe via TM (and noted at that time the CPU problem reported above). I'd been noticing explorer.exe and its RAM over the last 24 hours or so - 43MB VM is normal but RAM is usually well below 20MB and often below 15. Anyway, after killing DOPus' lister this morning the only thing I could think of that I've changed over the last 24 hours was teracopy, so I uninstalled it and immediately noted that explorer.exe fell to 13MB and when I restarted DOPus.exe it started at 0% CPU and 30MB VM and has stayed there (even after opening a lister) - entirely normal on my machine.

I erred in this instance by not killing dopus.exe and restarting it before uninstalling teracopy... No skin off my nose, really, as I don't often have trouble copying and moving files using Windows anyway. One thing I did notice yesterday while moving things around was that when dealing with small files (like moving icons from my desktop into the "unused desktop shortcuts folder) teracopy actually causes this to take LONGER than Windows' native file copy/move feature.

nosh:
I've just encountered what might be a pretty serious bug in Teracopy.
I was updating some CD writing related utilities (cdspeed.exe, drivespeed.exe, infotool.exe) and downloaded and unzipped the latest versions on my desktop. I then dropped cdspeed.exe to the folder where the original was located. Instead of giving me an overwrite warning, Teracopy just popped up the copy box and closed it - it didn't overwrite the file, it basically didn't do anything. I know for certain the utility wasn't locked by any other process. After fiddling around a bit it seems to me that Teracopy will not do anything if the exe file being overwritten is different. If it is identical to the file trying to overwrite it, it works normally & pops up the overwrite warning. I'm not sure if this'll be replicated on other systems but it seems likely.

It's a pretty serious bug when a program pretends to copy a file and actually does zilch. It's time to say Au Revoir, Teracopy for me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version