topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:56 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: teracopy: copy your files faster  (Read 119662 times)

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
teracopy: copy your files faster
« on: June 03, 2007, 06:43 AM »

Copy your files faster and easier

TeraCopy is a compact program designed to copy and move files at the maximum possible speed, also providing you with a lot of features:

Copy files faster. TeraCopy uses dynamically adjusted buffers to reduce seek times. Asynchronous copy speeds up file transfer between two physical hard drives.

Pause and resume file transfers. Pause copy process at any time to free up system resources and continue with a single click.

Error recovery. In case of copy error, TeraCopy will try several times and in the worse case just skips the file, not terminating the entire transfer.

Interactive file list. TeraCopy shows failed file transfers and lets you fix the problem and recopy only problem files.

Shell integration. TeraCopy can completely replace Explorer copy and move functions, allowing you work with files as usual.

teracopy.png

from lifehacker

NOTE: I have not benchmarked it.

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: teracopy: copy your files faster
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2007, 07:22 AM »
I've always used Servant Salamander for extended file copy/move operations coz Explorer (XP) even after years of "evolution" is so pathetically dumb. I like the fact that Teracopy integrates itself into the shell and takes over Explorer. I haven't bothered benchmarking it either... :-[ I don't care, it's better than Explorer.

Are the file copy/move operations on Vista any more sophisticated than XP?

Edit: Since Teracopy lets us adjust the buffer size, how do I tell what the optimum value for my system is? Ah yes!... there's always benchmarking, but can I find it using some calculation?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2007, 07:26 AM by nosh »

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2007, 08:30 AM »
I like the fact that Teracopy integrates itself into the shell and takes over Explorer
is there an option not to integrate into the shell? :)

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2007, 09:42 AM »
Yes, you can disable shell integration.

Nighted

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Meat Popsicle
    • View Profile
    • Nighted@deviantART
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2007, 01:47 PM »
This is Codesector though. Good luck getting any support from them.  :down:
I`m a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class, especially since I rule.

masu

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2007, 04:16 PM »
thanks for the hint

how much is the normal speed increase in comparison to the windows explorer copy process?
Find+Run Robot 2.90.01
Windows 7

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2007, 03:01 AM »
another copy/move program that i use: SuperCopier 2. but SuperCopier seems to be stuck in beta since middle of last year.. :-\

Configuration screen

Tekzel

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2007, 03:24 PM »
another copy/move program that i use: SuperCopier 2. but SuperCopier seems to be stuck in beta since middle of last year.. :-\

Yea, I love SuperCopier... I haven't found a copy replacement yet that comes close.  To answer a question someone posted back a ways, yes, Windows Vista does improve the copy/move process a little.  At least it no longer just stops on an error, and it gives you a checkbox that allows you to specify repeat any action for a particular condition.  SuperCopier is still better though, too bad the shell integration doesn't work on Vista.  You can still use it but you have to do it manually.

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2007, 03:41 PM »

Yea, I love SuperCopier... I haven't found a copy replacement yet that comes close.  To answer a question someone posted back a ways, yes, Windows Vista does improve the copy/move process a little.  At least it no longer just stops on an error, and it gives you a checkbox that allows you to specify repeat any action for a particular condition.  SuperCopier is still better though, too bad the shell integration doesn't work on Vista.  You can still use it but you have to do it manually.

does anyone know how to make this work with Dopus? Either supercopy or teracopy :~

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2007, 04:30 PM »
I just downloaded the SuperCopier 2 beta and added "dopus.exe" to the list of handled processes in SuperCopier's configuration settings (the Handled Processes tab). Can't tell if it's working or not!

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2007, 05:20 PM »
I just ran some cursory copy speed benchmarks for Explorer, Teracopy & SuperCopier2.

bench.jpg
It's interesting to note that for copying several small files Explorer was the fastest. I'm pretty certain this has something to do with the buffer size Teracopy sets, I suppose it could be tweaked to get better results.

Supercopier was the slowest in both tests but has some functionality (remove files from queue) that Teracopy only has in its Pro version. There is no mention of speed improvement with the Pro version. I'm sticking with Teracopy as it seems to offer the best balance between speed and features.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2007, 05:31 PM »
Hmm... thanks for posting the comparison, Nosh. I'll have to give teracopy a closer look. Of course, if neither it nor SpeedCopier will work with DOpus this is all academic anyway! I still haven't been able to tell if SpeedCopier is doing anything but am indexing 15 GB of pdf's at the moment and don't want to jeopardize that, so will wait 'til it's done before throwing anything major at it (like backing up those pdf's to an external drive for a start)...

edbro

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2007, 06:23 PM »
Darwin,
Teracopy does work with DirOpus. I use it with DirOpus 8. Notice my context menu.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b387/edbro9/Teracopy.jpg
teracopy: copy your files faster

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2007, 06:36 PM »
Cool! Between Nosh's mini-comparison and edbro's informative screenshot how can I not take a closer look at Teracopy. Actually, after reading Nosh's earlier post, I uninstalled SpeedCopier and downloaded Teracopy. Haven't installed it yet, though. Right, off to do that (because it's much more interesting than reading about a CT generated 3D model of the Nazlet Khater cranium and mandible, but maybe that's just me...?).

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2007, 08:01 PM »
Interesting to see how this compares with Robocopy. Robocopy, or "Robust File Copy", is a command-line folder replication tool. Available as part of the Windows Resource Kit, and introduced as a standard feature of Windows Vista, Robocopy has always been available free to licensed users of Windows.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robocopy

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2007, 11:45 PM »
speaking of Robocopy, noutters has written a script with GUI called RobocopyScripter for queueing the copy/move task.. here's the link for RobocopyScripter.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2007, 11:32 AM »
Hmmm.... this may be a coincidence, but explorer.exe ate up over 40MB of VM/Private Bytes and DOPus 9 was sitting at over 40% CPU while I had teracopy installed and running. I exited and uninstalled it and all is well.

edbro

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2007, 11:44 AM »
Hmmm.... this may be a coincidence, but explorer.exe ate up over 40MB of VM/Private Bytes and DOPus 9 was sitting at over 40% CPU while I had teracopy installed and running. I exited and uninstalled it and all is well.

That's strange. Mine is very stable on XP Pro SP2 with DirOpus 8.

When you say "installed and running" do you mean that you called up the program interface? On my system all I have to do is access it from the shell context menu. Teracopy doesn't need to be "running". It appears to be just a dll call. Just for grins, I called up the main program and it still only used 3.3MB of ram.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2007, 12:04 PM »
Installed and running = installed  :-[ Just me being careless with my choice of words. I don't know what was causing this. Essentially, after a reboot (first since installing teracopy yesterday) this morning my computer was sluggish right off the bat and DOpus was frozen - I had to kill dopus.exe via TM (and noted at that time the CPU problem reported above). I'd been noticing explorer.exe and its RAM over the last 24 hours or so - 43MB VM is normal but RAM is usually well below 20MB and often below 15. Anyway, after killing DOPus' lister this morning the only thing I could think of that I've changed over the last 24 hours was teracopy, so I uninstalled it and immediately noted that explorer.exe fell to 13MB and when I restarted DOPus.exe it started at 0% CPU and 30MB VM and has stayed there (even after opening a lister) - entirely normal on my machine.

I erred in this instance by not killing dopus.exe and restarting it before uninstalling teracopy... No skin off my nose, really, as I don't often have trouble copying and moving files using Windows anyway. One thing I did notice yesterday while moving things around was that when dealing with small files (like moving icons from my desktop into the "unused desktop shortcuts folder) teracopy actually causes this to take LONGER than Windows' native file copy/move feature.

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2007, 01:33 AM »
I've just encountered what might be a pretty serious bug in Teracopy.
I was updating some CD writing related utilities (cdspeed.exe, drivespeed.exe, infotool.exe) and downloaded and unzipped the latest versions on my desktop. I then dropped cdspeed.exe to the folder where the original was located. Instead of giving me an overwrite warning, Teracopy just popped up the copy box and closed it - it didn't overwrite the file, it basically didn't do anything. I know for certain the utility wasn't locked by any other process. After fiddling around a bit it seems to me that Teracopy will not do anything if the exe file being overwritten is different. If it is identical to the file trying to overwrite it, it works normally & pops up the overwrite warning. I'm not sure if this'll be replicated on other systems but it seems likely.

It's a pretty serious bug when a program pretends to copy a file and actually does zilch. It's time to say Au Revoir, Teracopy for me.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2007, 01:39 AM »
Thanks for posting that, nosh. I've been debating reinstalling Teracopy to see if the problem I reported above is real or not, but keep coming back to the fact that I really don't have a burning need for it, so why bother... Anyway, your post has put that niggling notion to rest for me. Thanks!

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2007, 02:03 AM »
I used it to copy 11 gb of music from my external drive to the internal one and it was great for that, but mostly i just move 1 or 2 little files at a time and waiting for teracopy to start up and then going through all its set up was sooo slow, it would have to be able to time tra vel to get back the time lost doing that for little files.    so i uninstalled it.  might reinstall it if i have a big copying job to do tho
« Last Edit: June 14, 2007, 02:05 AM by Grorgy »

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2007, 02:11 AM »
Ah, thanks for that George. You've reminded me of something that "picked" me while I was using it - as noted by nosh, it does indeed take LONGER to copy small files. Like you, the vast bulk of my copies are of files, even blocks of files, that are under 10MB so I notice the slowdown. Good point about keeping it around for big jobs, though. I can't remember if there is an option to simply enable/disable it? Might be worth contacting the developer to see if it can be added, if not.

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2007, 02:44 AM »
You're welcome Darwin. The bug made the decision a no-brainer for me too. Grorgy does make a good point - Teracopy would make a difference with big jobs. There is an option to disable it from handling all file operations by default. I however don't want to see the 'TeraCopy Here' and 'TeraMove Here' shell context items several times a day when I know I'm not going to TeraAnything Anywhere for a long time.

Nighted

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Meat Popsicle
    • View Profile
    • Nighted@deviantART
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2007, 12:21 PM »
C'mon guys, you don't want TeraCopy, or any other Codesector software. Don't do it!!! As you said, bugs. Good luck getting support and having them fixed, because YOU WON'T!!!

If you all have extra money lying around, I'll give you a phone number to call. When the lady answers, get out your credit card and have a case of beer sent to my address.
I`m a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class, especially since I rule.