topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 4:21 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: teracopy: copy your files faster  (Read 119696 times)

KD7LRJ

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: teracopy: copy your files faster
« Reply #125 on: January 16, 2009, 07:53 PM »
Why did you pick that one? (im asking from lack of knowledge, its not a trap :p)

Yes, just SHA1. I used this because it was easily accessible in C# in .NET. It seems pretty quick (in my very limited testing). Since we aren't concerned about collisions (other files generating the same hash), I figured it would work. If there are other things that would work better, I wouldn't mind hearing about them...

You're right, I could compare before copying, but then if the files were different, it would be reading both files an extra time. I figured that the main goal was to make sure that the copy McTool did worked properly.

Gergith

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #126 on: January 16, 2009, 07:55 PM »
I understand what your saying, I'm just saying if it will stop/not copy if the destination already has the file wanting to be copied, you could allow a setting/switch make it test both anyways just to see if its the same

KD7LRJ

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #127 on: January 16, 2009, 09:32 PM »
I understand what your saying, I'm just saying if it will stop/not copy if the destination already has the file wanting to be copied, you could allow a setting/switch make it test both anyways just to see if its the same

That's exactly how the date/time and file size compare options work now. How often are there files that you want to copy that have the exact same date/time and file sizes? In quite a few years, I have never needed this ability, but others might...anyone?

Gergith

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #128 on: January 16, 2009, 09:39 PM »
put it this way. I want it, and I would not mind if it required a switch/setting/etc, that allowed to hash check AFTER date/time and file size.

for instance modified or created date might change, but filesize and hash might be the same.

You don't have to add it, but this is my request :p

Thanks again

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #129 on: March 31, 2009, 02:27 PM »
Does anyone know how to make fastcopy to work in 32bit shell under 64bit Xp? When I register extension it shows up only under 64bit explorer shell.

FastCopy has been updated to version 1.55. Using it on my Flash drive now. :Thmbsup:

If I ever need to back up a huge amount of data on another machine again, it's good to know it's waiting there ready to go.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #130 on: March 31, 2009, 02:34 PM »
kartal: does it have 64- and 32-bit installers, or a combined one-size-fits-all? If the former, obviously grab the 32bit package. The latter, mail the developer :)
- carpe noctem

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #131 on: March 31, 2009, 02:48 PM »
Well there is only one file. I guess it prefers 64 over 32.

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #132 on: March 31, 2009, 06:00 PM »
FastCopy is @ version 1.98. The .zip file contains the following:

FastCopy.chm (Japanese only)
FastCopy.exe
FastEx64.dll (Shell Extension for FastCopy)
FastExt1.dll (Shell Extension for FastCopy ---> 32bit)
readme.txt (Japanese)
readme_eng.txt
setup.exe

Extract to any folder, delete the setup.exe file and whatever else you do not need.  Register FastExt1.dll and you are done.

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #133 on: March 31, 2009, 06:47 PM »
Well when I try to install the extension via "shell extensions" menu it tries to install or find the FastEx64.dll.  I do not know another way of installing the 32bit version of the dll.

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #134 on: March 31, 2009, 07:32 PM »
You need to register the dll first. Register or unregister a DLL

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #135 on: March 31, 2009, 08:13 PM »
PhilB66, thanks for the lead. But that solution was not giving me the right click options at all. So I ended up cheating. I just renamed "FastExt1.dll" as "FastEx64.dll". SO FC thinks that it is registering 64bit dll but in reality it is 32bit dll in disguise :)

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #136 on: March 31, 2009, 08:25 PM »
Nice one kartal  :Thmbsup:

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #137 on: November 15, 2010, 02:30 PM »
FastCopy 2.06 is ready

FastCopy is the Fastest Copy/Delete Software on Windows. It can copy/delete unicode and over MAX_PATH(260byte) pathname files.

Automatically, after whether the copy origin and copy destinations are HDD according to same physical HDD or is judged, it operates as follows.

Diff HDD: Reading and writing are done with the MultiThreading in parallel.

Same HDD: Using big buffer, reading until the buffer becomes full, and writing in bulk.
Because Read/Write doesn´t use the cache of OS at all, other processes (application) do not become heavy easily.

Read/Write performance is a near the limit of the device. Include/Exclude Filter (UNIX Wildcard style) can be specified.

It operates lightly because MFC is not used, and it makes it only from Win32 API.

Because all source codes have been opened to the public in the BSD license, you can modify this software.

http://ipmsg.org/tools/fastcopy.html.en

Version history:

v2.06   Fix exception at verify mode(v2.05 only).

v2.05   Fix not to save settins in Win98. Enable to select writing ACL/AltStream errors to the log.

v2.04   Enable drag & drop in admin mode on UAC. settings dialog and misc refine.

v2.03   Fix "Elevate" menu item didn't work in English UI.

v2.02   Release x64 native version. Store fastcopy.ini and logfiles in \Users\(USER)\AppData\roaming\FastCopy, if installed in \Progmram Files in Vista or Win7(UAC on/off is unrelated). Misc refine/fix.

v2.01   Fix not to finish "move" in same HDD rarely. Restore not to require absolute path.

v2.00   Add simple compare function("listing" with CTRL button). Store fastcopy.ini and logfiles in \Users\(USER)\AppData\roaming\FastCopy, if UAC is enabled and installed in \Progmram Files. Enable manual settings of Physical Drive group. Enable 32bit shell extension in 64bitOS. Fix exception when deleting Job.

v1.99r4   Adjust destination filename to source filename when both upper/lower case are different (except "overwrite all" mode). Fix showing no detail error.

v1.99r3   Fix automatically decision of HDD mode problem.(v1.99r2 only) Improve to estimate complete time.

v1.99r2   Add detail filelog option(/filelog). Enable filter in move mode. Speed up starting (Replace API's inifile access by original routine.) Affect filter for the files those are specified direct in Source EditBox. Modify /srcfile option when using MBCS in srcfile contents. Additionally, refinement

v1.98   Add Extended (filesize/timestamp) filter. ("Option" -> "show extended filter")

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #138 on: November 15, 2010, 03:00 PM »
I've noticed a new copy tool named UltraCopier. I recall reading a favorable review a few months ago, but I haven't tried the software yet. UltraCopier is currently at version 0.2.0.16.