topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:42 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Screenshot Captor - License file  (Read 15634 times)

uwe

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Screenshot Captor - License file
« on: September 09, 2005, 01:37 AM »
Hi,

why do I need a license file for Screenshot Captor?
On you website you write:
"The reason we require people to download a license key from us is so that we may have a chance to ask you to consider whether you might be willing to make a one-time donation to this site, of any amount you choose."

So I downloaded a license file and I entered this key into Screenshot Captor.

But what surprise  >:( My Freeware License became a Demo License  :down:

What's that? Why do I have to register to this forum? Why should I provid my email?

Only to become a license file which is changing my freeware license into a demo license???
« Last Edit: September 22, 2005, 08:46 AM by uwe »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Screenshot Captor - License file
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2005, 02:13 AM »
I understand your frustration.

I have written on this site extensively about why we are doing it the way we are doing it.
We are experimenting with ways to encourage people to donate, while still keeping the software free.  The current approach is that the freeware license keys have to be renewed every 6 months or so, but can be renewed forever.

It's not set in stone, and I do want to hear opinions from people who are upset by it so we can decide whether to keep doing it or not.

I hope you will take some time to look around and read about our motivations and intentions.
Here are a couple of posts and a blog column about the idea of the license keys:

I have also said this in a couple of places, including the key file page: If you  know you are not going to donate, send me an email i will make you a non-expiring license key.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2005, 02:15 AM by mouser »

AbteriX

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2005, 02:46 AM »
Hi,
[...]
why do I need a license file for Screenshot Captor?
What's that? Why do I have to register to this forum? Why should I provid my email?
Only to become a license file which is changing my freeware license into a demo license???

Hi Uwe,
welcome to the forum.
Why you have to register ?
Well, you get an (or even a few) great application
 what is still in improvement with an zero time response from the author for free
and all what the author want is that you join the community,
say hallo, maybe look around how's here,
perhaps tell us what is good and what could be better with the applications,
get you licence key and maybe make a small donation to keep the project online.

Less things in live are free, but mostly not as cheap as here  :)

I hope you come back ?

uwe

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2005, 05:50 AM »
I understand your wish to get donations - you are developing great software, no question.

But what I found a little bit strange is that your software is freeware and changes to a demo version after applaying a license key. For me it's a strange behavior - that' all.

BTW: Thanks fpr you response

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2005, 06:12 AM »
just to make sure we are all understanding the same thing when you say "demo version"

after you apply the license,
the program will not nag you again and  you will not see any messages, and there are no limitations, for 6 months.

after 6 months, or any time before that, you can go to the license key page https://www.donationcoder.com/Keys
and it will last another 6 months. you can do this forever.

so its a full version of the program after you apply the license, with no more nag screens.  it's just that it requires you to come back to get a new key every 6 months.

like i say, this is really an experiment, if too many people don't like it and it doesnt help get many more donations (which it isn't so far), then we will remove it (and maybe try something else?)

thanks for being understanding.

The_Suggestinator

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2005, 07:52 AM »
I see nothing about DEMO, what you mean with DEMO Uwe ?

From my About box:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
License:    Freeware (180 days before renewal needed)
Name:    The_Suggestinator
Email:    [email protected]

Screenshot Captor is for super easy, super fast screenshot capturing.

This program is FREEWARE, and can be used forever, without restriction.

But please consider making a one-time donation which grants you lifetime membership on our site,
with early access to our programs, special access to our forums, discounts on award winning software,
and many additional benefits.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I see no nags, no crippled feature,...
and in an half a year you should come back to get the new Screenshot Captor build anyway  :)

And a tool like Screenshot Captor with this incredible drawing feature (clips. arrows, text)
wich you found else where in shareware tools only, is it worth in any case.
(and worth to donation too (at least $5), but that's an other story)

Just my $ 0,02

AbteriX

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2005, 08:13 AM »
Also two things i want to annotating too:

1.) i sophisticated that someone how attendance in the forum
and maybe helps to found bugs or make suggestions
could also get a lifetime licence with out donating.

2.) and f.ex. seen in the post above,
if you want an another name and/or email address in your about box
just send an email to mouser to get an another key.
'cus e.g. "Bill Gates" looks nicer than The_Suggestinator there in :)

isn't it mouser ?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2005, 08:29 AM »
:)

im happy to make custom licenses for any member.
i can customize username, email, company name, licensetype string.
if you want me to make one for your best friend, family, etc., just email me with details :)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2005, 08:32 AM »
most freeware you don't have to do anything, you just download and it runs forever with no annoying nag screens.
so i understand uwe being frustrated.

and like i say, this is an experiment - maybe we will stop doing it after a while if it is not helpful.

i just ask people to understand that we are trying to find a good solution to encouraging donations.

Sentinel

• Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
  • Generally confused
    • View Profile
    • www.donationcoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2005, 01:09 PM »
Mouser, perhaps your software should be called 'donateware' to help clarify matters.  Free to use if you want to jump through a few *minor* hoops or you can donate a trivial amount and never be hassled again.  At least then people cannot negatively misinterpret DC's position.

Uwe, I'm afraid my attitude is always somewhat harsher than mouser's.  Judging by your original post, you may be angry with the situation but perhaps you should ask yourself a couple of questions: -

Can I find a better alternative without having to do anything at all but download and use it?

Is my use of the software worth more to me than the effort taken to freely register at a site and download a key every six months?

If you are still not satisfied with your responses to the above then walk away.  You have gained nothing, but you have also lost nothing.

In the end, the choice is yours.  Use the software under the specified terms or go and find an alternative.

The unfortunately fact of life is that sites like this are not 'free' to run, developers cannot live on fresh air alone and why should you unquestionably get the benefit of several hundred man hours of development just because you have a need to use a certain type of software?

If someone doesn't want to donate and isn't prepared to significantly contribute to the community (and I'm not saying that you are either), then they have to put a little more effort into ensuring they can use the software available on this site.  Where is the problem with that?  It is 'free' in that there are no limitations, but you will have to occasionally do something to remind you that the people making the software and running this site should be recompensed, if not rewarded.  If you were to calculate an hourly rate for some of the software on this site I'm certain it would be classed as slave labour.

Sure, there may be reasons why you cannot donate cash, but mouser is an easy going guy, in my opinion too easy going.  If you contribute significantly to this site he will give you an unlimited key, if you donate a dollar he will give you an unlimited key, if you convince him that you've had a hard life and you are a good person I'm sure he would also give you an unlimited key.

Frankly I believe mouser's current approach is fair, balanced, correct and beneficial for everyone in the community, even if he still isn't convinced.  ;)
Designated "proofreading free" zone.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2005, 02:05 PM »
Let's remember, uwe took the time to register at the forum, and took the time to post an explanation for what upset him.
I asked people to post their feelings about this - so he was just doing what i asked, and i appreciate that he took the time to make a public post about it.
And his follow up post was very respectful, so i welcome his comments and i appreciate that you took the time to post them uwe.

sentinel, regarding calling it donationware, i think that would be reasonable too, although i have a slightly unconvential view of what the definition of donationware should be.  i have written elsewhere on this forum this:
"like i was saying there is some real "muddlement" in the definition of donationware.
most people seem to refer to donationware any software whose author asks users to consider making a donation.
this seems to me totally useless as a definition.  it says nothing about the program at all.
to me it makes more sense to say a program is donationware if it REQUIRES a donation but the donation amount is left up to user.
if it has no restrictions at all then its freeware, regardless of whether author asks for donations or not."

but i do recognize that the approach we are taking here is more annoying than what people normally call donationware, and it might be clearer to call it donationware, or "registerware".

uwe

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2005, 04:51 AM »
Hi Mouser,

I thought about your licensing/donation model.

What do you think about this idea:
By default your software (which is really great) is freeware, but after a time periode a 'donation reminder' will pop-up.
But when a user takes the time and signs in to your forum - personally I think such a forum is a good idea - and than gets a license file - he will no longer gets those 'donation pop-ups'.

Is just an idea  ;)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2005, 06:04 AM »
this is exactly how it works now!

the only difference is that after 180 days the user must return for a new license key to make it run for the next 180 days without nags (donation reminder popup).

so is your suggestion just to make it not require getting a new license key after 180 days, or is your program somewhow still giving you the reminder/nags even after you entered the key?

uwe

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2005, 02:45 AM »
I don't think that it works that way.

What I found out is:

- You download and install ScreenshotCaptor - you will have a "License: Freeware License" - this you will see on your about screen whitout any license file imported.

- But after you import a license file, you will see "License: Freeware (180 days before renewal needed)".

So for my understanding: without license file it's freeware (without renewal) but with license file a renewal is required. Am I right?

That is what makes me wondering - without license - freeware, with license freeware which requires renewal. Shouldn't it be the other way?

AbteriX

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2005, 04:31 AM »
I don't think that it works that way.
[...]
That is what makes me wondering - without license - freeware,
with license freeware which requires renewal. Shouldn't it be the other way?

Hi Uwe,
it's nice you stay in discusses with us  :)

> without license - freeware,
Fact: Freeware with an reminder,  after 15 days of trial.
Question: how "deranging" is this reminder ???

> with license freeware
Fact: Freeware with the "plea" to visit the web side after an half an year again.
Question: what happens with your installed soft if you not renew your freeware lizenz after 180 days ???

I think, after 180 days you go back to "non-licencs"-version with the reminder.

So with freeware licence you get rid of the reminder for 180 days.

In both ways you be remind to visit the web side again: see for updates or other freeware soft or join the community... or just say hello and that you use the soft and how...

As third substitute one could make a small donation, wrote a post card to mouser, send in new suggestions
or bug reports to get an lifetime licence for ever (or even simple ask mouser to get an licence)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2005, 07:23 AM »
uwe you are quite right that it is confusing and i should change it somewhat.
as you say, without a license it says "freeware; renewal in 365 days (i think)" (or something like that)
with freeware downloaded license it says "freeware license; renewal needed in 180 days"

which seems quite confusing, like the license made it worse!
but as stefan said the thing that the freeware license does is remove the nag pop up on the bottom right - which i the only annoyance of the program that starts in 10 days if you don't have a license.

it would be more accurate probably for the program to start out saying
"donation reminder license"
and then when you apply freeware license it should say
"freeware license; renewal in 180 days"

i will change this in the new versions or make it something similar.

uwe

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2005, 08:26 AM »

it would be more accurate probably for the program to start out saying
"donation reminder license"
and then when you apply freeware license it should say
"freeware license; renewal in 180 days"

i will change this in the new versions or make it something similar.

Yes would be more accurate and not so confusing - thanks.
BTW: I am still happy with your software  ;)

rrtwister

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2005, 05:36 PM »
I love the donationware idea. However ther is one part I wold like for you to think about. A lot of effort goes into these programs, the website, forum and such. I would like to see the reminder pop up every 30 days or after the 1st of the month, every month, if a donation was not made. After all, the site is called DonationCoder. I think that it would not be a real problem for people to get a new key, or show a little appreciation and donate a couple of dollars. Mouser, Skrommel and the others posting thier work here do it for the love of it, so those that love the programs should donate, the others should just get a new key every month.

Just my 2 cents worth.
I have an excellent memory.....now what was I saying ???

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2005, 05:50 PM »
thanks uwe and rrtwister -
i think needing to get a new key every month would be excessive - as it is, every 6 months might be already too annoying.

rrtwister

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2005, 08:39 PM »
Being slightly annoying for a person to use for free was kinda my point (in a polite kind of way). After all, if they only donated a small amount once they would get a key that would remove nag screens permanently for all of the programs. I just view a monthly reminder of what you are getting for free as an "encouragement" to help support the ones that are doing the work. After all, giving so much of yourself fo nothing is actually costing you.

Thanks for all you do.
I have an excellent memory.....now what was I saying ???
« Last Edit: September 22, 2005, 08:41 PM by rrtwister »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2005, 08:56 PM »
well let me say rrtwister, it means so much to me to get support from members like you -
i definitely have moments of doubt and conflict wrt to asking for donations and the whole license file thing -
i really am trying to find a good balance for this stuff and i can't tell you guys how much i wish i didn't have to ask for donations at all.
believe me, if i could pay my monthly bills and get out of credit card debt, i promise you i would not be asking for donations - i am not asking for donations to get extra spending money - i ask for donations only as a way to be slightly less in debt than i already am.

and because i feel guilty asking for donations sometimes, it means everything to me to have people here who support the approach of this site.  and i really do hope we can grow into a site that provides a home for more authors in the same kind of situation as me.

and i also want to say this, for all of those who have donated - please realize that your donations make it possible to run this site the way i wanted to run it.  i think you've exceeded already what most people would have guessed a donation-based site could do, and you've all really made me feel great about the future of donation-based software, and convinced me that we are all doing this the right way - and that we should stick with it.  and i do feel like we are all here in this together trying to find the best way to make it work and be a good example, and my promise to those of you who have helped make this site work that i will always consult with you when making decisions, and we can make them together in a way that makes everyone proud of the project.