topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 11:15 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: need for a reminder app  (Read 3953 times)

p2hari

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
IDEA: need for a reminder app
« on: June 01, 2007, 04:32 AM »
Idea: There needs to be a software which will store all the to do tasks and just alerts the user when the system is about to shut down.

Scenario1: I am working on the system. I find a blog and want to reply to it. But i want to do it after sometime as i am busy with a personal blog updation. So, i store this information in a simple to-do list which is there only for the session the computer is switched on. I dont want a huge software  which keeps track of all my schedules for 20 years with links to some external urls etc.
Simple application open only for a single session which stores information or to do tasks and just warns me before i shut down the system.

So just before i shut down the system the application warns me that i need to reply to a blog and will take me over there.

Scenario2: A similar situation, i am working on the system and my friend calls me and we have a long chat and during sometime our chat my friend tells me to do him a favour by visiting a site and checking out for some information. I come on back to my system and put a request in the application asking me to remind me to get the information.
Now if i am about to close the system. this application will remind me that i need to get the information for my friend etc.

Basically i need an application which keep tracks of my recordings and sessions and will remind me to complete them just when i am about to close my session. (either shutdown, log off or hibernate)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 04:38 AM by p2hari »

AndyM

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: need for a reminder app
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2007, 09:21 AM »
I use two command files for rebooting and shutting down, each one ending with a shutdown command (shutdown -r -t 02 or shutdown -s -t 02).  It would be easy enough to make a command file to hibernate (rundll32.exe PowrProf.dll, SetSuspendState).  Don't know about logging off.

Then just keep your to-do list in a text file, and put a command in your shutdown/reboot/hibernate .cmd files to display the text file and pause the batch file.
Delete the text file (or archive it) as the last command before shutting down.