topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:41 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Microsoft OneNote 2007  (Read 88866 times)

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Microsoft OneNote 2007
« Reply #50 on: August 30, 2007, 12:48 AM »
After having tried many info dump programs, my favorite is InfoSelect 2007.

They also have again (after a many years hiatus) a 30 day trial version.

www.miclog.com

Pricey but in my opinion the best!

Greetings,

Brahman

A weird old friend of mine ( :) ) uses info select. I tried it almost for a whole week and I liked it. I don't remember what version it was though... 7, maybe???

But... I found it expensive, and not worth the move. Some quick comments on what seemed like drawbacks to me (at the time, I was looking for an "all in one" Outlook and Notetaking solution):

- Sync with palm : seemed more complicated and less reliable than my current Outlook to palm solution

- GTD implementation : not that easy to implement an easy to manage GTD system

- Calendar : compared to Outlook, the calendar is not as nice and feature full

- Drag and drop : not as intuitive and well implemented

- Pretty heavy on RAM if you have big databases

- Not great with images and graphics (I don't even know if you can store images in its data base... maybe you actlually can with the newer version...

- "Abstract" : there's a level of abstractedness to it that made me feel like every thing (my data) was... floating. OUtlook makes me feel like every bit of data has a specific and well defined spot...

BUT...

- InfoSelect's searching capabilities are AMAZING : quick, fluid, and I loved how ot graphically represented your data and search results. You have to see it to understand...  :-[

- Very very flexible : you can classify and organize your data in many many different ways... In some ways, I found it almost too flexible (hence, its "abstractedness"....)

- I loved its outlining features. "Wow" is all I could say.

The "notetaking" thread has some info on Info Select. Not much though. It was "rejected" pretty early in the epuration process.

PS. I don't think one can really compare ONeNote to Info Select : they are really two different beast. (edit : actually, why not... ...)Info Select is very much a PIM and email program (some will say it enters the EITKS category...) program. OneNote is not exactly what you'd call a fullblown PIM... Well, I wouldn't. Even if Zaine files it under the Calendar, PIM and Outlining section...
« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 12:56 AM by Armando »

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2007, 07:59 AM »
I just started using OneNote, mostly to try to organize some projects (studies, hobbies) and have to say I'm very impressed with it! Wow! I found an excellent students discount which I've taken advantage of (sorry, Norway only AFAIK). Spot on, Microsoft :up:

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: November 30, 2007, 08:07 AM »
I used it for keeping information together and code snippets but I have imported all codesnippets to directaccess and all notes to plain text files as I realiased my needs were minimal :)

edbro

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: November 30, 2007, 08:21 AM »
I've been torn between OneNote and Evernote. OneNote has Evernote beat for features and UI but it is not portable. I like to have my data with me at work on my usb stick. With Evernote I can run a desktop version and a portable version and it will keep the 2 databases in sync.

I did try the Thinstalled version of OneNote and it runs well. But, there is no way to sync the desktop and usb databases. (At least no way that I could figure out)

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: November 30, 2007, 08:32 AM »
There's a portable version of oneNote. I'm sure it's not legal, but it'd solve your problem (oh, I see you found it :) sorry).
You can synch the databases (they are simply files) using a simple synchronization program such as super flexible file synchronizer (SFFS)

edbro

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: November 30, 2007, 11:32 AM »
You can synch the databases (they are simply files) using a simple synchronization program such as super flexible file synchronizer (SFFS)
Well, I have Syncback SE but I would have to be careful that I don't make changes to more than one database before doing a sync. Not sure I want to take that chance.

The beauty of Evernote is that it can do an internal 2 way sync anytime I plug in the usb drive. No user action required.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2007, 12:11 PM by edbro »

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: November 11, 2008, 01:51 PM »
Is not OneNote slow? I tried one time the pages felt very sluggish to me, it did nto feel like fun to deal with changing workspace or pages.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 02:01 PM by kartal »

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #57 on: November 11, 2008, 02:08 PM »
@kartal.
Not here. What are you doing exactly?

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #58 on: November 11, 2008, 02:14 PM »
I was not doing anything special. I tried the trial version. And I found that changing from one page to another or workspace to another was slow and interface refreshes were clearly visible. I just have a thing about interface refreshes , very distracting

patteo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #59 on: December 20, 2008, 02:23 AM »
Just in case anyone is interested and want to get a quick start on OneNote 2007, you can download some neat Quick Reference Sheets for not only OneNote 2007 but many other Microsoft products in PDF formats.

CustomGuide - Free Computer Training Quick References, Cheat Sheets
"FREE Quick References

Here are some ways you can use them:

* Distribute them at your organization.
    * Forward them to users with support issues.
    * Post them on your organization's Website.

Be notified when new Quick References are released — and get a free Online Learning evaluation: Complete the form to the right"
http://www.customgui...quick_references.htm

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #60 on: December 20, 2008, 02:29 AM »
great find, patteo! OneNote quick reference looks very useful!

johnwayne999

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #61 on: February 04, 2013, 06:51 AM »
Hi guys, of all the powertoys for OneNote2007, the one I use the most is SortPage done by Daniel Escapa.

Unfortunately you'll notice the actual plug-in file (OneNote2007SortPages.zip) for some reason has disappeared completely off the net. It's quite a peculiar phenomenon seeing it is a freeware. When's the last time you try to find something you know existed, but find it completely disappeared off the net? How weird. Anyway I do have a backup copy from 5 years ago, which was sitting in one of my old hard drives by chance. Attached here for you.

Another copy can be found here:
http://windowssecret...?p=890395#post890395

Alternatively if you can't find it anywhere and still want a copy, you can try to contact me via this thread.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #62 on: February 04, 2013, 04:04 PM »
Hi guys, of all the powertoys for OneNote2007, the one I use the most is SortPage done by Daniel Escapa.

Unfortunately you'll notice the actual plug-in file (OneNote2007SortPages.zip) for some reason has disappeared completely off the net. It's quite a peculiar phenomenon seeing it is a freeware. When's the last time you try to find something you know existed, but find it completely disappeared off the net? How weird. Anyway I do have a backup copy from 5 years ago, which was sitting in one of my old hard drives by chance. Attached here for you.

Another copy can be found here:
http://windowssecret...?p=890395#post890395

Alternatively if you can't find it anywhere and still want a copy, you can try to contact me via this thread.
Thanks, that makes my list of OneNote 2007 add-ons:
  • OneNote 2007 - CanvasForOneNoteSetup (labs - not all that good).msi   
  • OneNote 2007 - DailyJournal.1.1 (excellent).msi                       
  • OneNote 2007 - DROE tool v04 beta (not much good).zip                 
  • OneNote 2007 - SearchReplace (works well).zip                         
  • OneNote 2007 - Send To OneNote 64bit driver install (a good kludge).msi
  • OneNote 2007 - SortPages (not tried).zip                               
  • OneNote 2007 - SortSections.zip                                       
  • OneNote 2007 - TemplateManager.zip                                     
  • OneNote 2007 - WordCount.zip                                           

(List produced in a trice using the FileGrab utility + @f0dder's SendToFileGrab script - see Re: DONE: "Filegrab"-like functionality integrated into the file explorer..)

johnwayne999

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #63 on: February 05, 2013, 04:13 AM »
    • OneNote 2007 - DailyJournal.1.1 (excellent).msi                       

Hey no problem.

Just quickly looked up DailyJournal. It looks nice. So far I've just been using a diary software called Advanced Diary (http://www.csoftlab.com/Diary.html) which serves my purpose. People might want to give it a try as an alternative.

By the way, my main problem now is VMWare ThinApp virtualising OneNote so it can run straight off my USB key at internet cafe's. It's actually quite straight forward to virtualise OneNote2007 itself. Then problem I encounter though is the plug-ins (Sort Sections and Sort Pages) crash when virtualised. Do you guys have this problem? How do you overcome it? Thanks. I am also happy to try VirtualBox Seamless if people know how to integrate it with host computer very seamlessly (ie. no Windows boot up/ shut down pages; and readily access host computer directories). Any advices would be much appreciated.

IainB

• Supporting Member
    • Joined in 2008
    • @Slartibartfarst
      • View Profile
      • Donate to Member
    Annoyance - Win8 "stole" the Win+s OneNote screen clip hotkey [FIXED]
    « Reply #64 on: August 11, 2014, 06:42 PM »
    There was a query in a OneNote forum:
    Disable search shortcut in 8.1 - Microsoft Community
    Joe Fargo asked on August 12, 2014:
    I use OneNote extensively, and I recently upgraded to 8.1.  I want to be able to use the Windows+S key combo to enable the OneNote screen clipping tool, however, now it brings up the search charm.
    Is there a way to disable (unhook) that key combo from the search charm so that it will just do the screen clipping from OneNote?
    Thank you!

Response:
    "Is there a way to disable (unhook) that key combo from the search charm so that it will just do the screen clipping from OneNote?"

I am sure many people are experiencing this annoyance after starting to use Win8 or Win8.1.
    I had exactly the same issue, and initially resolved it by pressing Win+n, then "s" key, but this was a tedious workaround. The theory is "the less key-depressions the better" (for efficiency and time-saving), so this was far from an ideal workaround. So I resolved the problem by using Autohotkey (http://ahkscript.org) and added the piece of script inside of the === lines below to my Autohotkey commands file:
    ====================
    $#s::    ; Intercept Win+s to send a Screenclip request to OneNote
        Send #ns                         ; Sends Win+n, then "s"
        return
    ====================
    This takes it straight back to what it used to be like under Win7 and OneNote 2007/2013.

The only problem you might have with this is that, if you use the Win+s hotkey combo to go to the Win8 Search menu, then that is locked out. I don't use it, but if you do, then you could alter the hotkey above (#s) to (say) LeftShift+Win+s (<+#s), or something - which would leave the Win8 Search menu hotkey as-is.