ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Microsoft OneNote 2007

<< < (8/13) > >>

zridling:
urlwolf, I may well do that, documenting the transition from Windows to Linux, although that might bore most people to death. Many have done it before elsewhere and I see Windows-to-Mac users doing it daily to my dismay. I don't hate Microsoft, but imo they no longer care about me, the customer, and frankly, among other reasons, I can no longer afford their products. Moreover, at this point in my computing life, I have over 22 years of data, documents, letters, books, theses, a dissertation, and so on that I want to protect. Microsoft is not interested in doing that unless I pay them to access my data saved with their various proprietary file formats through their software, i.e., vendor lock-in.

Half of my life is invested in my work and writing, and I'll be damned if I'll ever let it be held hostage to a corporation. Not coincidently, Microsoft feels the same way with their own data — they're quick to sue, the threaten patent lawsuits, and they're currently fighting the national bodies of countries around the world to make their product specification of MS-OOXML an ISO standard.

So I've devolved to the simpler formats over the past six years to the point where I even keep backups of most everything in a simple text file (sans formatting, of course). I'll keep a Microsoft machine on the desk for several more years probably, although I won't upgrade anymore after Vista. So using my "text" outlines and files in Linux is the simplest transition on any platform. And the safest. No, I don't get the wonderful benefits of OneNote. But then, I'm not encumbered or beholden to buying, keeping, upgrading, and converting files to the new versions either.

PS: I'm not trying to start a war here against Microsoft; I'm just laying out how I feel these days, and where my head is.

urlwolf:
Opera browser opens MHT files, they call it Web Archive (single file)
-justice (June 05, 2007, 02:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

How?
I tried file > open, then selected web archives from the dropbox, and tried to 'see' a .chm file. But nothing shows up.

justice:
I thought you were talking about mht files, which have an .mht extension? Not CHM. If I have made a wrong suggestion i am sorry.
Save a webpage with IE with file -> save as -> web archive and you can open it up in opera.

Microsoft OneNote 2007

tomos:
Opera browser opens MHT files, they call it Web Archive (single file)
-justice (June 05, 2007, 02:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

How?
I tried file > open, then selected web archives from the dropbox, and tried to 'see' a .chm file. But nothing shows up.
-urlwolf (June 06, 2007, 05:42 AM)
--- End quote ---
works for .mht dunno about .chm

I tried using the Opera archive format - .mht - to save web pages for a while.
I found I often had trouble opening them in opera, but sometimes in IE as well -
they would start to open & then simply hang.

Don't know was that an Opera problem or an .mht problem
Often I saved the pages when offline whether that had something to do with it or not..

Don't trust it anymore anyways!

Jimdoria:
Does OneNote have an extension for Firefox? I tried OneNote 2003 back in the day but uninstalled it because I couldn't clip from Firefox. I would rather give up OneNote than Firefox!
-edbro (June 02, 2007, 07:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, there is an add-in that lets you clip from Firefox and it works fine. It shows up on the context menu when you right-click on a page or text selection. Info comes into OneNote just as if you'd clipped it from IE.

One checkmark you can add to the "pro-MS" column is their developer base. Other note-taking programs may be extensible, but many are not, and even if they are, the number of developers targeting them is bound to be tiny. Since anyone who develops for MS Office is capable of writing add-ons for OneNote, the potential pool of developers (and available technology) is quite large. There is already a good number of plug-ins that extend the functionality of OneNote. The Firefox add in is just one example. Check out the list at the OneNote PowerToys list.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version