ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Microsoft OneNote 2007

<< < (7/13) > >>

wraith808:
See:
http://www.paulgraham.com/microsoft.html
http://www.paulgraham.com/cliffsnotes.html
-urlwolf (June 02, 2007, 03:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

Ummm... what does this have to do with the discussion at hand?  Not saying it doesn't... I just can't see the correlation to a review on OneNote.
-wraith808 (June 02, 2007, 08:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

I was talking about vendor lockin and Microsoft, and Graham says that the business model of M$ is dead. So I was wondering if anyone has found anything that comes close to OneNote (I have read the long notetaking thread, mind you) but is not using a proprietary format.
-urlwolf (June 03, 2007, 06:47 AM)
--- End quote ---

I still don't see where just posting those URL links implied that, but that's neither here nor there, I suppose.  As far as a note taking application that doesn't use a proprietary format, I think that *most* if not all organizational tools for notes are going to use *some* sort of proprietary format- that's just the nature of the beast, and I don't think it's a bad thing.  What *is* bad is having no way to easily export the information that you input into something that can be used elsewhere, i.e. pdfs, rtf, etc.  And most of the ones that I have used have this in one form or another.

Carol Haynes:
OneNote 2003 (and I presume 2007) can export to an MHT file (a compiled HTML file). OK that is used by Internet Explorer but I can't see IE disappearing in the foreseeable future. It can also export to a Word .DOC file - and again I think MS Word is going to survive for a little while yet (and even if it doesn't other software such as OpenOffice will read it).

All this talk of proprietary formats is a bit of a red herring - all of the apps for note taking use proprietary formats as far as I can see - the format most guaranteed to survive (IMHO) are those supported by MS (much as I hate to say it). Most of the other companies are small beer compared to MS and would sell out like a flash if MS made them a suitable offer.

CWuestefeld:
an MHT file (a compiled HTML file)-Carol Haynes (June 04, 2007, 05:12 PM)
--- End quote ---
Sorry if this is nitpicking.

While MHT is generally a form of compiled HTML, so to speak, normally that term is used for CHM files. And while CHM is indeed a proprietary (though documented) Microsoft format, MHT is not limited to Microsoft. Indeed, the letters stand for "MIME-encoded HTML", MIME being the standard means of encoding, e.g., email.

Carol Haynes:
Fair enough - nit pick away.  :D

My point still stands though - and if anything is strengthened.

Having said that I am not aware of any software that opens MHT files other than IE ... anyone know of any?

justice:
Opera browser opens MHT files, they call it Web Archive (single file)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version