ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Microsoft OneNote 2007

<< < (11/13) > >>

Armando:
After having tried many info dump programs, my favorite is InfoSelect 2007.

They also have again (after a many years hiatus) a 30 day trial version.

www.miclog.com

Pricey but in my opinion the best!

Greetings,

Brahman
-brahman (June 21, 2007, 10:53 AM)
--- End quote ---

A weird old friend of mine ( :) ) uses info select. I tried it almost for a whole week and I liked it. I don't remember what version it was though... 7, maybe???

But... I found it expensive, and not worth the move. Some quick comments on what seemed like drawbacks to me (at the time, I was looking for an "all in one" Outlook and Notetaking solution):

- Sync with palm : seemed more complicated and less reliable than my current Outlook to palm solution

- GTD implementation : not that easy to implement an easy to manage GTD system

- Calendar : compared to Outlook, the calendar is not as nice and feature full

- Drag and drop : not as intuitive and well implemented

- Pretty heavy on RAM if you have big databases

- Not great with images and graphics (I don't even know if you can store images in its data base... maybe you actlually can with the newer version...

- "Abstract" : there's a level of abstractedness to it that made me feel like every thing (my data) was... floating. OUtlook makes me feel like every bit of data has a specific and well defined spot...

BUT...

- InfoSelect's searching capabilities are AMAZING : quick, fluid, and I loved how ot graphically represented your data and search results. You have to see it to understand...  :-[

- Very very flexible : you can classify and organize your data in many many different ways... In some ways, I found it almost too flexible (hence, its "abstractedness"....)

- I loved its outlining features. "Wow" is all I could say.

The "notetaking" thread has some info on Info Select. Not much though. It was "rejected" pretty early in the epuration process.

PS. I don't think one can really compare ONeNote to Info Select : they are really two different beast. (edit : actually, why not... ...)Info Select is very much a PIM and email program (some will say it enters the EITKS category...) program. OneNote is not exactly what you'd call a fullblown PIM... Well, I wouldn't. Even if Zaine files it under the Calendar, PIM and Outlining section...

TucknDar:
I just started using OneNote, mostly to try to organize some projects (studies, hobbies) and have to say I'm very impressed with it! Wow! I found an excellent students discount which I've taken advantage of (sorry, Norway only AFAIK). Spot on, Microsoft :up:

justice:
I used it for keeping information together and code snippets but I have imported all codesnippets to directaccess and all notes to plain text files as I realiased my needs were minimal :)

edbro:
I've been torn between OneNote and Evernote. OneNote has Evernote beat for features and UI but it is not portable. I like to have my data with me at work on my usb stick. With Evernote I can run a desktop version and a portable version and it will keep the 2 databases in sync.

I did try the Thinstalled version of OneNote and it runs well. But, there is no way to sync the desktop and usb databases. (At least no way that I could figure out)

urlwolf:
There's a portable version of oneNote. I'm sure it's not legal, but it'd solve your problem (oh, I see you found it :) sorry).
You can synch the databases (they are simply files) using a simple synchronization program such as super flexible file synchronizer (SFFS)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version