ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

google developer day reporting: google gears (better than AJAX?)

(1/3) > >>

urlwolf:
Hey,

I'm at google developer day, Spain right now (GDD) so I though tI'd report a bit on what's going on...
Sorry about my telegaphic style, but I have to pay attention to talks while typing.

In general, 2007 seems to be the year of the map.
All talks were about maps. KML is a markup language to interact with maps.

One of the most impressing things I saw was:
http://gears.google.com/

Talk given by the guy who wrote google reader.
The whole point is to make AJAX applications more fluid, with even less server connections.
This time it seems they'll make google reader very responsive.

Gear It's a browser plugin

It gives you access to a local SQLlite db (!) on the client
Seeing a SQL query in javascript is kind of cool.

workerpool
It gives you thread-like functionality for javascript

When we are offline, reader (or any other AJAX app) will query the local SQLlite db.
How does it figure out if we are offline? It's not as obvious as it seems.

It kind of runs alocal server,  synchronized with the remote one.
Imagine gmail being even more responsive…

You have search technology of course on the entire local db.

Next: search API.

Lashiec:
Sleeping with the enemy, huh? ;)

Why the best things in Spain always happen in June when everyone is flooded with exams? Well, at least we have you to keep us informed!

MrCrispy:
This is great news! I love google webapps but the one caveat is offline access and it looks like this will take care of it. I hope they roll it out soon and integrate with all of google's own apps.

urlwolf:
Yes, I hope this makes it to gmail as well.
That's about the only thing remaining for gmail to be perfect: offline access and backup.

This is a serious response to adobe's flex: now AJAX can be taken offline and work, while being a lot more efficient online too!
----------

Report on the search API talks.

Basically, the old search API, limited by 1000 queries/day is being replaced by a new system.

Google is pushing the idea that you can just stick snippets of code (good for nonprogrammers) and get super-cool funcitonality.

They have invested heavily on gadgets, maplets, and all of this can be generated using a wizard.
e.g., you can get a feed showing recent news on any topic, and being actualized by google. Same for videos, pictures, etc.

You can crack up a decent site on any topic in five mins.

Of course, this is all javascript-driven. I anticipate books on js will be selling like dougnuts in the next few months.

Google really wants to have developers cracking up cool stuff with their technology.

urlwolf:
Sleeping with the enemy, huh? ;)

Why the best things in Spain always happen in June when everyone is flooded with exams? Well, at least we have you to keep us informed!
-Lashiec (May 31, 2007, 12:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

Since when is google the enemy?

BTW, they gave us (participants) a remote control helicopter at the end of the day (!). How's that for a treat?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version