ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Microsoft's proposed new user interface

(1/4) > >>

Cpilot:
Microsoft unveils new touch screen user interface called Surface.
Video here.
Microsofts "Surface"

f0dder:
I wonder if they actually already have this interface designed, or whether it's just a bunch of preset animations with good acting to make it look real. There's been previous posts on DC about similar stuff, so it could very well be real.

I don't think this would work very well for a generic user interface, but for specialized stuff like shown in the video, it's cool enough. Seems intuitive, and lets you Just Do Ittm instead of worrying about the boring techy details.

A thing I'm not impressed about, is how laggy and unsmooth the animations seem. It's the same with flash, powerpoint presentations, etc. Come on people, we have insanely powerful CPUs and GPUs now, yet animation was smoother on my amiga, more than 10 years ago.

Lashiec:
I'll pick my jaw off the floor...

Well, with this new technology and the nice new laws USA's general attorney is proposing (particularly, the first point) we'll get a "Minority Report" future in no time, and Tom Cruise in our house in the case of the latter.

I can understand all the shots reacting to the hand movements, but how do they do the digital camera part? How do they take a shot and the next second the shot is showed in the screen?? The camera is not connected.. And then they transfer the photo to the PDA??? HOWDOTHEYTHAT???!!! Or I'm missing something (I can't watch the video with sound so...)

All the Vista and Office bashing, and Microsoft comes up with this... This is not running Mac OS X or Linux, folks. And it's impressive. I want a job at Redmond, at least to try this.

Talking about Mac, Bill Gates and Steve Jobs had an public reunion today. I can't comment on this one (again, no sound) but they could enlist a notorious free software figure (I vote for Linus Torvalds) next time, if there's one.

Hirudin:
Attempted IP theft? Sounds fair to me, so long as intellectual property theft is illegal.

I suggest they up the penalty though! Screw this $250,000 business, give the police the power to execute intellectual thieves on sight!

Anyway, it looks cool, but your arms would get in the way! After a while they'll invent a super cool transparent pointing device that will simulate finger presses. Later they'll invent a new wireless version, it'll be a little rodent sized peripheral with multiple buttons that will track the movement of users' hands off screen!

justice:
The best way for a lazy man to order a drink without going up to the bar.  :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version