ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

What do you do with your old PCs?

(1/3) > >>

zridling:
Bob Sutor posted several links on installing Linux on your old PCs. In the past, I've cleaned mine up and donated them to various family members who are computer-stupid (the old, infirmed, and my deranged uncle). But now I'm thinking that having an old computer doing background tasks (whether on Linux or Windows) is a good idea. For example, I could use it for serial DVD burning, listening to a ballgame, torrent work, uploading my daily database files. Of course, you could always convert it to an information furnace:

[attach oldpc01.jpg][/attach]             [attach oldpc03.jpg][/attach]

[attach oldpc02.jpg][/attach]             [attach oldpc04.jpg][/attach]

What do you do with your old PCs?

masu:
sell it by ebay  :Thmbsup:

Lashiec:
I don't really know. My current computer is nearly retirement, as my new dual core will take his position after the exams (I'll need some quiet days to assemble and configure it), but I'm still wondering about his future. I'm selling the memory to a friend who really needs it but for the rest of the computer either I donate it to some organization or I give it to someone who could need it.

My mother had another option, that is taking the computer to our house in the country... I can't see the use in this ;D

mwb1100:
my deranged uncle-zridling (May 30, 2007, 02:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

"Sexy monkey" Zaine has a deranged Uncle?  I can't figure out if I should be scared or in awe!?!?

cthorpe:
I have a motley assortment of old PCs that are running with parts canibalized from other machines that family members have given me when they upgrade to faster machines.  Oddly enough, I am by far the biggest tech-geek in the family, and I have the slowest and oldest computers.  Just the other day, my printserver died on me after a particularly nasty lightening strike that I can only guess was very close.  I was able to get it back up and running in about thirty minutes with pieces from my garage.

Carl

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version