ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Outpost 5 for Vista seeking Beta testers

<< < (2/2)

Lashiec:
So you didn't try again after you long struggle with version 4 ;)

Perhaps the main problem with Outpost is that it's turning into a all-in-one security suite, despite being primary a firewall. I don't blame Agnitum though, most security software is going this way, especially firewalls.

And with people like the ones at matousec.com saying things like this:

The purpose of a personal firewall is to set up rules that limit applications to perform actions they should not be able to do and to allow actions that are expected from them.

--- End quote ---

which is plain WRONG (if you want an application monitor, buy yourself a license of System Safety Monitor or any other HIPS) the future is not very bright.

Carol Haynes:
So you didn't try again after you long struggle with version 4 ;)
-Lashiec (May 30, 2007, 12:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

No - the general suggestion seemed to be stick with version 3.5 until version 4 becomes stable. I can't see the point of using software that more or less requires that you stay a generation behind to get a stable product.

Maybe I'll have another try with version 4 now that version 5 is coming out ;)

Hirudin:
I was using version 4 but didn't notice any huge problems, maybe I was lucky.

Yeah, it makes me mad that they're going with the Security suite model. If the whole suite is great that would be great, but I'm not too hopeful. Most of these "all in one" (SW or HW) products comprise of a bunch of mediocre parts stuck together or one good product and rest is mediocre.

Has anyone used the security suite? Anyone know if their AV is "powered by" any other antivirus software? Anyone seen any www.av-test.org or www.av-comparatives.org type test results?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version