topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:44 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Outpost 5 for Vista seeking Beta testers  (Read 5751 times)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Outpost 5 for Vista seeking Beta testers
« on: May 30, 2007, 08:54 AM »
Agnitum seeking Beta testers: http://www.agnitum.c...outpost/betatest.php

Beta Version
Outpost Firewall Pro 5.0 — Windows Vista-compatible, in primary beta

Here’s the long awaited news for Outpost fans. Agnitum presents its first firewall for Vista, which has reached a battle-hardened milestone in its development strategy. We concluded long ago that our customers didn’t need an underdone Internet security product, and users expressed suspicion of a raw operation system, so we worked to deliver a well-conceived, quality solution. It’s now high time you got to examine the results.

We encourage you to let us know what you think and help us construct the brand-new Outpost! Volunteer beta testers are more than welcome to help us improve all that can be improved in the first beta. To join the tester’s army, click: http://www.agnitum.c...outpost/betatest.php.

You probably want to know what’s new in the beta 1 version of Outpost Firewall Pro 5.0:

First, we’d like to remind you that the Vista-compatible product was in fact created from scratch. Porting of XP-firewall workouts was impossible due to objective technological reasons. This means that Outpost Firewall Pro 5.0 has a completely revised user interface and a number of improvements. Some of the latter are described below:

– Windows Vista support: As we’ve already mentioned and made clear, the new firewall is compatible with Windows Vista and equally suitable for x32 and x64 versions. Starting with this beta version, Outpost Firewall Pro 5.0 will support IPv6 protocol — a criterion on which the Windows Vista internal firewall bases its security pretensions, for instance.

– Proactive protection: upgraded, customized and even more effective!

– Strengthened self-protection: The Vista-compatible Outpost Firewall gets even harder to deactivate than its XP predecessor

– ‘Surfing safety’: Agnitum’s major concern and a separate functionality in the Outpost product line; now you can filter unwanted ads on any given web pages. The new beta caters to eradication of irritating adware, Active-X and other dangerous components.

Another important note: this primary beta version doesn’t contain an antispyware module. That will be added in later builds.

Users who love all-in-one solutions might also inquire: “What about the Vista-compatible Suite? When will it become available?” We expect to let you try the primary beta of Outpost Security Suite for Windows Vista later this summer. Don’t miss the news!

-Agnitum Directions

comic_newsen.GIF
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 08:58 AM by Curt »

Hirudin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Outpost 5 for Vista
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 08:58 AM »
Frigging finally!

I just bought Kaspersky Internet Security 6.0 today though... So far I like it better.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 08:59 AM by Hirudin »

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Outpost 5 for Vista seeking Beta testers
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 09:24 AM »
Should be good for a laugh - if you like BSODs ...

Agnitum's record on new release versions is so bad anyone would be daft to even try this until at least 6 months after the official release - God know what their betas will be like  :o.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007, 09:29 AM »
Maybe the final Outpost 5 will be both stable and effective about the time your renewed license expires...
 ;)

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007, 09:31 AM »
Don't know - I have a subscription but I unistalled the software a long time ago and would never reinstall after all the problems it caused.

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2007, 12:20 PM »
So you didn't try again after you long struggle with version 4 ;)

Perhaps the main problem with Outpost is that it's turning into a all-in-one security suite, despite being primary a firewall. I don't blame Agnitum though, most security software is going this way, especially firewalls.

And with people like the ones at matousec.com saying things like this:

The purpose of a personal firewall is to set up rules that limit applications to perform actions they should not be able to do and to allow actions that are expected from them.

which is plain WRONG (if you want an application monitor, buy yourself a license of System Safety Monitor or any other HIPS) the future is not very bright.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2007, 12:46 PM »
So you didn't try again after you long struggle with version 4 ;)

No - the general suggestion seemed to be stick with version 3.5 until version 4 becomes stable. I can't see the point of using software that more or less requires that you stay a generation behind to get a stable product.

Maybe I'll have another try with version 4 now that version 5 is coming out ;)

Hirudin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2007, 01:44 PM »
I was using version 4 but didn't notice any huge problems, maybe I was lucky.

Yeah, it makes me mad that they're going with the Security suite model. If the whole suite is great that would be great, but I'm not too hopeful. Most of these "all in one" (SW or HW) products comprise of a bunch of mediocre parts stuck together or one good product and rest is mediocre.

Has anyone used the security suite? Anyone know if their AV is "powered by" any other antivirus software? Anyone seen any www.av-test.org or www.av-comparatives.org type test results?