topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:24 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: NOD32 config info at Wilders - good but a quick warning  (Read 4318 times)

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
NOD32 config info at Wilders - good but a quick warning
« on: September 08, 2005, 06:28 AM »
I was recently pointed at http://www.wildersse...owthread.php?t=37509 by Fred Langa's newsletter (you all get this ... right www.langa.com there is a free version but I pay for the plus version and it is an excellent read).

This provides a comprehensive set up and tweak list for NOD32 version 2.5 and is excellent.

The only problem I had (and this is the warning) is that after applying all the tweaks GetRight download manager stopped getting file sizes for new downloads and really struggled to complete downloads.

Be aware that the HTTP compatability settings need to be set with care (half way down page 2):

and in particular all the GetRight settings need to be set for compatability mode.

The problem arises becase when "Higher efficiency" is set all files are downloaded first by NOD32 and scanned before being passed to the application that requested them. Sometimes this means that applications make the request and it is then downloaded twice! Once for NOD32 to check and once for the application, but in GetRights case it tries to download it and sticks in the last few bites forever and so the download never completes!

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: NOD32 config info at Wilders - good but a quick warning
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2005, 06:32 AM »
great post; thanks carol - i use nod32 and both this and the original thread at wilders is very useful.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NOD32 config info at Wilders - good but a quick warning
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2005, 06:45 AM »
It was one of those issues that drives you nuts. With broadband, ironically, I am not nearly as dependent on GetRight as I used to be, and Firefox download manager doesn't seem to be afflicted by the same problem. The double downloads were very annoying though, and not really sustainable when you download large files!