topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:28 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Magnetic by Incredimail - Dare I try it?  (Read 14222 times)

VampireRat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Magnetic by Incredimail - Dare I try it?
« on: May 26, 2007, 03:30 PM »
I have seen reviews that say Incredimail is EVIL EVIL EVIL.  The same company is now offering new software called Magnetic.  "Free and safe" with no strings attached - they say - to the first 3,456,789 users.  (Huh?) 
http://www.magentic....d_safe.aspx?id=10259

Magnetic is apparently a wallpaper and screensaver manager with 1000's of (at least currently) free downloads to go with it - or make your own.  I appreciate a beautiful or interesting wallpaper and an occasional really well done screensaver.
BUT:
Dare I try this out if others say Incredimail loads their Registry with "100's" of entries and is terrible adware?    :-\

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Magnetic by Incredimail - Dare I try it?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2007, 03:34 PM »
if you have doubts, why bother? ;)

VampireRat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2007, 03:41 PM »
You have a point.  I'm obsessive-compulsive.  Don't know if I will be able to resist.  Guess I am wanting to know if others have heard anything about or have had any experience with this - good or bad.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2007, 03:48 PM »
have you tried Incredimail before this? i myself haven't used it but i had to help several friends in removing the program.. :)

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2007, 04:33 PM »
This is from their privacy policy:

OUR USE OF THE INFORMATION YOU PROVIDE
IncrediMail will only use information that is provided in order to provide Users with importantinformation about the Software (such as upgrades, modifications, etc.)and to announce new products and services available to Users.Except as necessary to perform the functions of the Software and/or Site, IncrediMail will not share, sell or lease any personally identifiable information about any Userto any unaffiliated third party for any purpose without that User's permission.

Non- Personally Identifiable Information
IncrediMail will use certain non-personally identifiable information provide by Users for the following purposes: To create aggregate, non-personal, demographic reports about the Users of Magentic. Provide Users with certain content that may be of interest to that User based on the information the User provides.

GENERAL USAGE PATTERNS
IncrediMail may gather information related generally to Users' use of the Software, and Site including without limitation: current wallpaper, current screensaver, Magentic manager open and close time, Magentic tray startand end time. This information, which will only be collected and maintained in aggregate, anonymous form, will be used to, among other things: Provide IncrediMail with a better understanding of how Users use the Software and the various features thereof; Help IncrediMail to create and provide new services and offerings to Users; and Conduct and publish aggregate, anonymous, market research results.

COMPUTER SETTINGS
Magentic may collect settings, technical and other information from Users' computers, such as a computer's operating system, browser versions used, various communication parameters and other information related to the operation and interaction of the Software, subject to the provisions herein. This information will neither contain nor be linked to any personally identifiable information.

CONSENT TO PROCESSING
Users, including without limitation, Users in the European Union, fully understand and unambiguously consent to the collection and processing of their non-personally identifiable information, in the United States.
The bolding of text was my doing, to emphasize certain points.

While they promise not to share or sell your personally identifiable information, they don't agree to the same with the other information they are gathering from your system. And they do admit they will be gathering information. They are also a bit vague on the limits of their gathering, mentioning only examples but also stating that they are not limited to those examples.

Sure sounds like it could be spyware to me if it phones home telling them about you and your system and what you are doing with it.

This company has a reputation of spyware...spyware you pay to use. As long as they are still distributing at least one spyware product, how can you trust any of their other products?

Have you ever noticed that their email client is never included in any serious reviews and comparisons of email software? Why is that?

It's because nobody takes their products seriously unless it's to warn people to stay away from them.

Personally, for me, I wouldn't trust anything from the company till they got serious about cleaning up their software, and their reputation, in ALL of their products.

Provide Users with certain content that may be of interest to that User based on the information the User provides.

What exactly does that mean? What kind of content? Ads maybe? And if so, where are those ads going to be presented and in what way?

Too many questions and not enough answers for a product released by a less than reputable company.

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2007, 05:45 PM »
sounds like you're getting screensaver and wallpaper ads based on the wallpapers and screensaver content you prefer. Well that's the worst case scenario, I'm sure there wouldn't be any users left then.