ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Seeking opinions about combination antivirus/firewall products

<< < (3/13) > >>

Armando:
Lashiec : thank you for your opinions. I was also aware of the Matousec test results, and this is one reason why I wanted to give Comodo try. Tested it and, well, my current setup doesn't seem to like it (and I don't feel like spending hours on configuring a firewall). To me, AV or firewall are just means to reduce the probabilities of running into bigger problems. Probabilities are probabilities, and, of course, it's not because you DON'T run a firewall or an AV that you'll get attacked. Exactly like vaccination, any medical prevention, wearing a helmet when you're riding a motorcycle, etc. But I'm more the careful type, so, i'll wear a helmet.  ;)

Curt : sorry... I forgot about your virtual solution. Actually, even if I read some stuff on the subject, etc. I've never tried it.  You prefer bufferzone over sandboxie?

Curt:
How can I say this? I understand the benefits you get from using virtual browsing and virtual installations; its just that I only have little reason to use it myself! 1): My licenses for Outpost Pro 4 and NOD32 will run for yet another year - and I will hate to throw that money out of the window. 2): I have not excatly stopped trying programs no one else would touch, but I am much more careful than I used to be (taking a snapshot of the registry before installing a new program), and 3): I no longer download files I couldn't show to my wife (had I had any). Sorry for mentioning reason number 3, but sadly it is a very common reason for using virtual solutions.

But the most important factor and the one we care about here is that the virtual solution by far is the most secure solution. And you, being the careful type, will not find any other solution as safe.

I never tried sandboxie, so I wouldn't know - the virtual world is quite new to me - but I did try BufferZone, and for the ease of use I would prefer PRO over FREE.

Armando:
Thanks Curt for you honest and detailed response! I'll see if I get into the virtual world or not (I already know VMware quite well, but that's another beast altogether — I also remember trying altiris SVS in the past, just for the fun of it… But not having much fun).

As a softwarephile, I do like to try a lot of software every week/month (depending on my schedule) and, right now, I usually image my drive before I do. I've learned that almost ANY software can have detrimental effects on my system (some might say it's MS Windows, but it's also true -- although not as much -- on Linux or MacOS... whatever others say).

You mention a certain "reason 3"... Well, apart from these, ahem, files, isn't sanboxie also good thing against viruses and other malware?

Curt:
... isn't sanboxie also good thing against viruses and other malware?
-Armando (July 13, 2007, 11:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

:D

Yes, but being used to NOD32 and such, I seldom think about this risk.  ;)

Actually, I am more interested in First Defense ISR - be it from Raxco ?? (they show it, but do they sell it?) or from Horizon - but I thought the virtual thing would be more interesting to prevent-minded people, as BufferZone is about preventing but First Defense is about repairing. But repairing in milliseconds, that is (ISR = Immediate System Recovery)! But so far I have been troubled by the asking price, $69.

Edit: I should add that my interest in the subject in the first place, is how to fix the result of bad BETAs and such; and not to prevent vira - NOD32 and the others will do that, I trust.

Curt:
I nearly missed it!!   :o
DC members are offered a 40% discount on First Defense!
 :)

Edit: Link removed...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version