topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 8:42 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: 100 days of Vista: Is it Windows ME all over again?  (Read 3700 times)

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
100 days of Vista: Is it Windows ME all over again?
« on: May 24, 2007, 04:13 AM »
On TechRepublic today ... interesting article on the truth behind MS Vista sales figures ...

See http://blogs.techrep...om/networking/?p=254 for the full article (only the intro is below)

sc.gif100 days of Vista: Is it Windows ME all over again?

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: 100 days of Vista: Is it Windows ME all over again?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2007, 06:54 AM »
As long as it is like Windows ME in its role to fill the gap between two SO, that's good. For now, it doesn't seems the colossal failure in all terms that ME was.

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2007, 08:00 AM »
Wuddyamean? ME was great! :o

Of course I'm kidding. My parents were running ME before and whenever I was home I had to fix a bunch of things... It was horrible. (Obviously some user-related problems, but they were often the result of a bad OS).

My personal favourite WinOS is 2K. In the 6 or so years I was running it I never had any problems that I remember. I've been running XP for 5 months or so, and it's taken quite some time to get everything running smoothly.

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2007, 02:03 AM »
I have a lot of gripes with Vista, but overall, it's the first OS I've come across that is more restrictive than its predecessor, i.e., it allows fewer options and freedoms and licensing terms than any previous MS OS. On top of that, as the author (Justin Fielding) noted, XP does everything you need, and runs every program that Vista does. And yes, after five years of development, Microsoft should be embarrassed. The only way I recommend it is if you're going 64-bit and you're running it on a big new machine with the baddest videocard you can afford. Otherwise, XP is very fine, and refined!