ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Unfinished Requests

IDEA: Fix ReDownload of Incomplete Downloads

(1/5) > >>

skywalka:
If a connection 2 a server that U R downloading a file from is interrupted Windows saves the file 2 disk even if it is not complete.  If U try & redownload the file Windows sees the file in the cache & assumes that it has already been downloaded so just keeps dishing up the cached version of the file which, of course, is incomplete.

I know there R download managers that resume broken downloads but download managers don't work 4 every file on the web.

Searching 4 a file in the cache & manually deleting it is a very tedious task.  Would there B a way 2 rightclick the link & delete or overwrite the file?

Thanx 4 looking.

Veign:
Doesn't FireFox's download manager do this by default.

skywalka:
I don't know.  I use Maxthon.

Veign:
The way a file is downloaded would depend on the browser or application you are using to intiate the download.  This really would have nothing to do with Windows - Windows is only providing the disk space for the cache (and possibly the API's to connect to a server)

For instance if you use FTP to download the FTP specification provides a means for downloading a file by specifying the start and end bytes.  This allows FTP applications to resume a transfer.

Like the FTP specification the HTTP specification also provides these means.  I can send a request to a server and specify the target URL (a file in this case) and the start and end bytes.

An application would have to implement these "features" like FireFox does.  So, basically it comes down to your browser or application.

Carol Haynes:
One simple approach if you have this problem is to clear your cache ?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version