topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:17 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: ServicesCtl by OGroeger  (Read 7686 times)

OGroeger

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
ServicesCtl by OGroeger
« on: May 23, 2007, 12:34 AM »
ServicesCtl is a little application which enables you to start and stop services from the traybar. I wrote it because i develop for different databases and was annoyed how cumbersomely it is to start and stop services. It stays in the traybar and offers short links in its context menu to start and stop selected services.
ContextMenu_apache.png

The applications homepage is http://www.olaf-groe...r.de/servicesctl.php, the download link for the version 1.0 is http://www.olaf-groe...tl_1-0-0-0_setup.exe. I'm anxious to hear your feedback.

The web page is currently only available in german, but the application has german and english resources.

P.S.: System requirement is .Net 2.0

EDIT: A zip file without installer is available: http://www.olaf-groe...vicesCtl_1-0-0-0.zip. Just unzip to use it. Thanks to lanux128 for pointing this out.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 03:23 PM by OGroeger »

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: ServicesCtl by OGroeger
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 12:43 AM »
This looks really interesting and useful. I usually go through the Start menu - Administrative Tools - Servcies to mess around with services; this will save me a lot of time.

Many thanks!

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 01:11 AM »
yes, this looks like a very useful tool.. nice work, OGroeger.. :Thmbsup: don't worry about language, thankfully, "download" is still "download" even in German.. btw, you can also mention that there is a zipped version as some prefer a zipped file as it is faster and portable.. :)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007, 05:38 AM »
Indeed that looks very useful. It's also given me a nice idea for a FARR (Find and Run Robot) plugin that could list status of services and let you toggle them.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 05:48 AM by mouser »

OGroeger

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2007, 03:34 PM »
Whow, a FARR plugin would be cool. I reckon the code for impersonating to an administrator account can easily ported, as it consists mostly of Win Api calls.

@all: Thanks for your positive comments. :)

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2007, 08:52 AM »
I agree, this is a great idea - and a FARR plugin would make it that much quicker, easier, and better for me simply because I am used to using FARR...