ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Why is The Bat! e-mail app better than Mozilla Thunderbird (or other e-mail app)

<< < (2/5) > >>

Renegade:
I use The Bat! to check 9 different email accounts, and it does it well.  One of the accounts is my gmail account, and it handled over 13,000 emails without a hitch.  I can sort and filter quickly.  I tried to have Thunderbird download from my gmail account about a month ago.  Once it was all downloaded, it would take me forever to access any of the mail or do any manipulation through filters, etc.

Carl
-cthorpe (May 24, 2007, 09:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

This is again one of the things that I keep finding with commercial vs. FOSS. If I want something that works, at some point I've got to pay for it.

You're far from the first that has found that Thunderbirds just doesn't work as well as a good commercial client.

At the end of the day for me, I need things to work. I can't be farting around.

On the lighter side...

What's the difference between free sex and sex that you pay for?

Free sex is more expensive! :)

Hirudin:
I'm in the minority here; I hate TheBat! and wish I never purchased it!

It's always had an "almost done" feel to it, the updates were few and insignificant (I can't tell you one single feature added while I was using it (maybe 2 years)). But what really cinched it for me was when it deleted all my mail in the guise of "fixing" some problem of which I never saw any symptoms.

I posted about it here after it happened, lemme see if I can find it...
Oh, here it is: I wish I could punch the idiots that made TheBat!

I'm now using Thunderbird, it's great. DEFINITELY NOT as many features, but the features it has work. I use TrueCrypt and Super Flexible File Synchronizer to encrypt and backup my mail messages, unlike TheCrap!, this method lets me easily keep multiple backups, preventing a similar disaster in the future.

An example of the "almost done feel": It has a feature to automatically wrap your messages after 80 characters (I think that's the default, it's probably editable). This feature is nice and it certainly does make your messages look better. The problem is, it doesn't make any effort to re-wrap the text if you edit something. So, if you remove half a line, you're left with a huge gap after the line.

The above paragraph, wrapped at 80 charactersAn example of the "almost done feel": It has a feature to automatically wrap
your messages after 80 characters (I think that's the default, it's probably
editable). This feature is nice and it certainly does make your messages look
better. The problem is, it doesn't make any effort to re-wrap the text if you
edit something. So, if you remove half a line, you're left with a huge gap after
the line.
Looks pretty good right?

And with the underlined section removed... and a minor editAn example of the "almost done feel": It has a feature to automatically wrap
your messages after 80 characters
. This feature is nice and it certainly does make your messages look
better. The problem is, it doesn't make any effort to re-wrap the text if you
edit something. So, you're left with a huge gap after any edited lines or super long lines, because it only wraps when you type the 80th charactor.
Looks like crap and is super annoying to fix manually.

If you're like me, and modify your writing 15 times before you're happy with it, manually fixing the wrap of the text gets REALLY OLD!

Jibz:
Alt-L reformats the paragraph the cursor is currently in :up:.

mouser:
The Alt+L trick is one of the least known essential tricks in thebat; it should be plastered all over their web page.  i remember when we first discovered it on this forum and my mind was blown.  good times :)

cthorpe:
Wow... why didn't I know about the ALT+L trick?  Now I can stop dreading sending mail with The Bat!

Carl

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version