ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Why don't you pay for software?

<< < (5/15) > >>

Mark0:
As every good Pastafarian know, pirates are "absolute divine beings" and the original Pastafarians.
It's also very well known the direct connection between the global temperature increase on the planet, and the shrinking numbers of pirates since the 1800s.

Wikipedia explain it well: Flying Spaghetti Monster - Pirates and global warming

RAmen.

:D

Darwin:
Regarding my earlier post and the quote that I made in it, I can even respect, even if I don't agree with, an argument about ripping off Microsoft or Adobe because their stuff is too expensive. However, stating that you rip a company off because their products suck is ridiculous! How many car thieves target rusted and clapped out non-exotic cars?

This is where I differ: Just because a company's products are too expensive, I don't feel I have any right whatsoever to steal the product.  If I did feel that way about, say, Chevrolet, I wouldn't think to steal a Chevy to "get back" at them!

I either pay up and grumble like everyone else, or I make do with alternative applications. But I won't steal them.

Jim
--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

I've highlighted a key word or two in my original quote: you and I, as far as I can tell, aren't as far apart as you apparently think! I guess my choice of the word "respect" was unfortunate... Equally unfortunate is that I can't think of a better one right now. I was trying to say that if one is going to make a case for stealing, surely they could come with something better than "the product sucks, so it's ok to steal it". At least saying the you steal because you find the price more than you can bear is... stumped again, but how about: understandable?

Midnight Rambler:
Utility gained not in proportion to price charged.

For instance, just purchased via download, a copy of CopyToDVD to use with new DVD burner but only because the software was discounted 50%.

Padlock6:
I guess in the end it comes down to three questions.

* What is your software worth to you? 
* How much time does it save? 
* If it wasn't available because the developer couldn't afford to make it, how much would that hurt your productivity?-wraith808 (May 25, 2007, 03:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

I like to think if microsoft charged $100 for Vista, more people would think it was worth it and not try to steal.  I don't pirate, but I also don't like making the richest man in the world - richer!    :mad:

tide:
I do pay for the software I use. If a package is too expensive then I just don't use it. Often, there is another program with essentially the same functionality that costs far less and I'll use it instead.

On the other hand, I have bought or donated to programs that I neither need nor use but I support them anyway because I think the idea or motive behind them is worthy of support. For example, I don't need another programming language but I bought Phrogram (formerly Kids Programming Language) anyway. Why? Because it is such a great and well executed idea to get kids interested in programming that I wanted to support it!

And when I find an item on donationcoder.com that I find particularly useful I intend to donate to it too! :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version