ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Why don't you pay for software?

<< < (11/15) > >>

wraith808:
I know coders have to eat, but other than the forums here, where are most people going to meet one? You’re just some abstract entity working all hours on caffeine and pizza.
-mikiem (May 26, 2007, 10:58 PM)
--- End quote ---

This is actually a very interesting point.  Though times are changing, it is still all too common that when someone asks me what I do, and I say that I'm a software developer, or even a computer programmer or coder, they say "huh?  so what is it you do then?"

People *are* pretty divorced from the process that creates the software that they consume, and its become not just some sort of black box, but more akin to storks bringing babies or babies appearing in cabbage patches- they just don't know, don't care, and have the notion that it's *just there*.  I don't really know how to combat this, or to cause the layperson to realize that software *does* have value, which I think is one of the reason that the average person *is* so ready to engage in casual piracy if someone offers them a 'copy' of the software.

Curt:
Doing what is right is not just a matter of social intelligence. There is more to it. From Adam's time and until Judgement Day there were and will always be people attracted to evil, seing good as bad and bad as good. I mean; they crucified Jesus, didn't they. What can you expect? Some will think software pirates are heroes.

Mark0:
I'm the only one thinking that "pirate" is a such too strong word for what we are talking here?
I mean, it seems that the criminal connotations of the word (that may refer to murdering, raping, etc.) are a bit disproportionated...

mrainey:
"pirate" is a such too strong word for what we are talking here
--- End quote ---

Are "thief" or "parasite" more acceptable?

Mark0:
I would say that "unauthorized duplication/usage" is better than "piracy".

BTW, just to clear things up, I live working as a programmer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version