ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

Alarm When Power Cord Falls Out of Notebook

(1/3) > >>

Kruskal:
I'm looking for a utility that detects loss of power on a notebook PC and when it is reestablished.  I want a WAV file sounded in one case and ANOTHER WAV file in the other.  My BIOS will make an sound, but it is the same in both cases.

I think the trick is detecting the events.  Perhaps Windows Universal Power Supply support could be exploited.

Thanks -- Vincent

mouser:
I think this is a great idea.

Maybe even an option to change the background desktop color or image or something based on whether you are using battery or not, to help you remember?

Darwin:
My Gateway (actually re-badged Samsung) Centrino notebook dims the screen to 25% when the AC cord is removed and restores it to 100% when AC is reconnected. However, I don't know how this is accomplished, as there is nothing in my Power options under the Control Panel to control it. At any rate, this is a very effective notifier and I quite miss it when I play around on my wife's Compaq, non-Centrino, notebook.

nite_monkey:
My Gateway (actually re-badged Samsung) Centrino notebook dims the screen to 25% when the AC cord is removed and restores it to 100% when AC is reconnected. However, I don't know how this is accomplished, as there is nothing in my Power options under the Control Panel to control it. At any rate, this is a very effective notifier and I quite miss it when I play around on my wife's Compaq, non-Centrino, notebook.
-Darwin (May 22, 2007, 12:36 PM)
--- End quote ---
My brother's compaq does that also, though kruskal's idea would be good for all the computers that don't do that.

Kruskal:
-Darwin (May 22, 2007, 12:36 PM)
--- End quote ---
My brother's compaq does that also, though kruskal's idea would be good for all the computers that don't do that.
-nite_monkey (May 22, 2007, 01:04 PM)
--- End quote ---
In some situations, it is important for an audible alarm even if the screen makes the power state clear.  Often my notebook is closed and I hear the BIOS beep -- I have no idea if it is complaining that it lost power or is thanking me for restoring power.  For you see, on my notebook, at least, the power cord can appear to be plugged in when not actually making contact.

Thanks for all the comments -- Vincent

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version