topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 2:06 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Vista Problems with StandBy and Sleep Modus  (Read 12087 times)

PitrPaulus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Vista Problems with StandBy and Sleep Modus
« on: May 20, 2007, 02:30 PM »
GoodDay,
I have problems with the sleep-mode and the stand-by mode on my Vista installation: after sometime the computer goes into the sleep/standby-mode. But the waking up is hardly difficult. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. And when I shut down the computer I got messages that this was not done properly.
The same problem when I set the computer by hand in the standby or sleep-mode. I changed both, I mean: first I thougt it was sleeping-mode that caused problems, then I changed to standby, but the problems remain.
I've been reading a lot of articles about it but cannot solve the problem.

ASUS (I have one) wrote this, but ... I cannot find any 'Device Manager'; I've been searching everywhere....

Asus: "This is VISTA OS problem.  VISTA does not allow system to enter Standby mode, if "Allow this device to bring the computer out of standby" for an USB or PS/2 wake supported device (such as mouse or keyboard) has been checked under "Device Manager", while the used USB or PS/2 port has not switched its power mode to +5VSB, which allows delivery of standby power to USB or PS/2 ports under soft OFF state.
As VISTA enables this option per default, and motherboards often set USB power modes to +5V at the same time, this two settings may result in conflict, hence causes this trouble.

To fix this, simply uncheck "Allow this device to bring the computer out of standby" for your USB mouse and PS/2 keyboard under "Device Manager", if you do not desire to wake the system via your USB mouse and/or PS/2 keyboard.

If wake from USB mouse and/or PS/2 keyboard option is required for your application, simply turn off your PC, set the particular USB port used to connect your USB mouse, and/or your PS/2 port(depending on if you wish to allow wake from PS/2 device) to +5VSB as per the instructions in your user manual, then turn it on again, and disable "Allow this device to bring the computer out of standby" for devices you do not wish to use to wake your system from, and your system will be able to enter and wake from standby mode in your desired manner".

Well, does anybody know where I can find and I can change something in that 'Device manager'?? And pls explain above mentioned a bit more clear, I don't understand 50% of what is written (I'm just an ordinary travel-agent.... ;).

Thanks in advance. Greetings, PitrPaulus.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Vista Problems with StandBy and Sleep Modus
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2007, 09:57 PM »
i don't have Vista but in WinXP the following steps will work.. Click on Start > Run then type "devmgmt.msc" and the device manager will appear. after that you can follow the instructions as given by the tech support.. :)

jmj

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Author of Locate32
    • View Profile
    • Locate32
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2007, 11:32 PM »
devmgmt.msc works also in Vista. You can also find Device Manager from the following places:
Control Panel (Classic View) -> System -> Device Manager (on Left)
Control Panel (Control Panel Home view) -> System and Maintenance -> Device Manager
Administrative Tools -> Computer Manager -> Device Manager (on Left)

PitrPaulus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 03:34 AM »
 :Thmbsup: Great, Guys! That looks (very) good. When I'm home from work I'll check it directly. I looks quite clear and easy > Hope it will go that way.
I'll keep you posted one of these days. Greetings, PitrPaulus.  :)

PitrPaulus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 03:54 PM »
Hello and Good Day,
It's very difficult for me to translate this to Dutch. I really have no idea when I follow you in the Control Panel. There nothing like ' Device Manager'.
I tried to make some screenshots but that doesn't work. :mad:
Will you pl be so kind to send a screenshot so that I can see where this is, and than I compare the screenshot with my Control Panel and push the right buttons.
Thanks in advance. Greetings, PitrPaulus.

PitrPaulus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007, 03:55 PM »
By the way: I know the Control Panel etc., that's not the problem. PitrPaulus.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2007, 08:40 PM »
if you can get to the Control Panel, click the System icon.. then you'll have the Device Manager, as you can see in the screenshot.. :)

ws-devmgmr-1.png

PitrPaulus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2007, 03:54 AM »
Great lanux128! Clear with the screenshot. Yes, I saw this screen you showed now so I know where I have to be....
but ... when I read the Asus quote To fix this, simply uncheck "Allow this device to bring the computer out of standby" for your USB mouse and PS/2 keyboard under "Device Manager", if you do not desire to wake the system via your USB mouse and/or PS/2 keyboard do you have any idea under which map I have to look?
Hope you know that.
Thanks and greetings, PitrPaulus.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2007, 09:39 PM »
Pitr, since you use a usb-based input device, then there'll be an entry called HID (Human Interface Device).. i think that'll be the best place to look for.. anyway, try this steps:

1. Start > Run > devmgmr.msc
2. Device Manager shows up.
3. Choose a HID Device (either mouse or keyboard).
4. Select Properties option.
5. Click Power management tab.
6. Check/Uncheck the option "Allow this device to bring the computer out of standby".
7. Click OK all the way to the desktop.
8. It's a good practice to restart the system.

Let me know if this helps you.. :)

PitrPaulus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2007, 08:50 AM »
Hello lanux128, That's it! I found the right thing, the HID Device, and now disabled the ' wake-up'  button.
Hope this will solve the problem but anyway: What you learned me is loud and clear! Thanks a lot!
Pitr Paulus

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2007, 08:57 PM »
you're welcome, Pitr.. good to see that it solves your problem.. :Thmbsup: