ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

UK pc con (sorry, i mean repair) man captured for TV show

<< < (3/6) > >>

nudone:
Even so, let's hope his local car technician is a cow boy too, and tells him that he now needs a new engine, new seats and a new radio.

:)
-Martin_130286 (May 21, 2007, 07:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

hahaha, i never thought of that - brilliant.

Darwin:
Will he be prosecuted at all, or would that require a substantial number of his victims to come forward and work together? A$$hole deserves bankruptcy and prison time.

nudone:
i really can't say what will happen to him but i would assume that he is still trading - perhaps he will have changed his trading name. i think it is very unlikely that he will be prosecuted even though there must be a substantial number of his customers that would like to see it.

i've checked to see if he's got a website but i can only find an email and contact address - perhaps he removed things before the show went on air (i think it more likely he never had a website).

unfortunately, i think he will be doing just as well now as he was before the show went out - maybe a few people will remember that he drove a nice car with a stupid number plate but i doubt they'll remember his name or face.

maybe if the youtube clip was on digg.com then it might ruin is reputation a little - the real problem is that i expect many people with pc problems that are likely to call an engineer out aren't going to have any knowledge of MIKE QUIGLEY.

i personally wouldn't have any idea who he was if a neighbour hadn't mentioned it - i never really watch those kinds of tv shows that he was on.

SIDE TOPIC
i'm planning in starting a little pc repair call out service with a friend. i've been looking at the local market and i believe i (or we) can offer something better.

now, i was sort of wondering whether it would be a good idea to provide links to the youtube clips of this Quigley guy on our pc repair website - as an example of what to look out for when dealing with 'pc doctors'. i'd probabably put other info on the site about other tips customers could undertake if they weren't sure of who to trust.

i'm wondering if this is a good tactic though. maybe it just smells of desperation when you use other businesses as a bad example to your own business.

if you have the time - opinions please...

mouser:
i'm wondering if this is a good tactic though. maybe it just smells of desperation when you use other businesses as a bad example to your own business.
--- End quote ---

I think it's a good idea to address the issue directly that people are concerned about being ripped off.
So I say yeah link to the videos and other pages with tips and articles on what to watch out for.
Make a point that an informed customer is something you welcome and encourage.
Make clear your real info (names, addresses, phone#) so users can make sure there are no complaints, etc.

Darwin:
Yup - I agree with mouser. People are increasingly worried about getting ripped off (with good reason, evidently) so best to be upfront and acknowledge the potential. I'd advise customers to write down the part make/model/part number, etc of the components in their tower. Perhaps you could generate an inventory sheet for them to fill out with you when you first open up the computer. Of course, this is probably OTT, but after watching the YouTube video, it's something that I, as a potential customer, would do on my own anyway (but then I have no problem opening up a computer case and mucking tinkering on my own (just pulled all three of the household notebooks to pieces to clear out a year's worth of dust, lint, feathers (cushions on the couch), and hair - also found the magentic tip from a Magnadoodle pen in my wife's notebook, that can't have been doing anything any good!). Even so, this strikes me as a good way for you to be open with people and to allay any fears that they might have after viewing the "House of Horrors" episode.

PS Disappointing that Mike Quigley is likely continuing to con people. He's a scoundrel and not to be trusted (hopefully this thread will come up if any potential customer is savvy enough to google his name!).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version