ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

UK pc con (sorry, i mean repair) man captured for TV show

<< < (6/6)

Carol Haynes:
I bet you can configure at least some of these to run in BartPE so that you can run them even if Windows won't start. Difficult if there are no graphics though  :tellme:

nudone:
I bet you can configure at least some of these to run in BartPE so that you can run them even if Windows won't start. Difficult if there are no graphics though  :tellme:
-Carol Haynes (May 30, 2007, 09:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

nice idea.

nudone:
i have a dilemma. i'm close to starting this pc repair thing as an 'official' business but i've just thought of something...

how do i deal with customers that are using pirated software? if they require their machine wiping and all they have is a dodgy copy of xp, am i compelled to say "sorry, i can clean your machine but i can't set it up for you until you have a legit copy of xp." their reply being along the lines of "goodbye, i'll phone someone else up and pay them instead."

in the ideal world they would, of course, reply "oh, really, i will pay you whatever it costs to get a legit copy of xp - i had no idea it was illegal." but, i can't see that happening too often.

any ideas how i should approach a vast number of customers that will be in this category - should i simply make my apologies and explain i can't be of help?

Darwin:
I'm probably naive - but what percentage of XP installations in Derbyshire are likely to be dodgy? I *think* the majority of users probably buy their computers ready-made with the OS pre-installed and then never think about it again. If you do run across a machine with a pirated OS, tell the customer that you can fix the computer but as it's an illegal copy of the OS you won't be able to reinstall it if you have to wipe the harddrive for any reason. If there is illegal software loaded that you concude is causing a problem (virus, adware, spyware, malware, etc.) tell the customer that it's the cause and that to solve the problem it must be removed, but that you can't provide a "clean" copy so the decision is their's to take. You could have an agreement that the customer signs up front acknoweldeging all of this up front. Actually, you'll need an agreement anyway that covers you against loss of data and hardware failure, etc. - you could just incorporate it.

You should/could also ask that customers provide you with the media for their OS... I *guess* if they provide it to you and it's a pirated copy, it's up to you whether you hold your nose and load it or not. I'm talking in circles this morning - late night and early morning - not pretty!

nudone:
in derbyshire, hmm, i really have no idea but i think you are right about most people having a pre installed operating system from when the machine was bought. this is what i usually find anyway.

i shall definitely get them to sign something before i do anything - i guess it is their responsibility if it is 'their' pirated software - i can advise them but it isn't for me to lay down the law.

(perhaps they will appreciate my recommendations for buying legit software if i explain that i will not be profitting from any sales myself.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version