topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 12:48 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Using Clipboard Help+Spell to insert Tags?  (Read 8079 times)

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Using Clipboard Help+Spell to insert Tags?
« on: May 19, 2007, 02:37 AM »
Hi mouser,
Hope you're doing well! :)

I've been happily trying your new beta for Clipboard Help+Spell for a couple weeks ( :Thmbsup:) to insert Tags in files (see https://www.donation...90.msg61986#msg61986)

But... I was wondering how could one use the a virtual folder to show the contents of a clipboard list (a "tag list", for instance) by alphabetical order so that terms are very easy to spot ? (I don't know much about "sql conditional expressions based on database fields"... Is there any simple intro to the sql thing, somewhere?)

One feature which could be interesting would be to add icon identification to each clip. But maybe "Clipboard Help+Spell" is not the right tool for what I'm trying to do (Insert tags rapidly...)... Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks.

Armando

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Using Clipboard Help+Spell to insert Tags?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2007, 06:13 PM »
there are some good tools for this i know, i'm just not remembering the names currently - chs could probably do it but not ideally.. it's tempting to think about adding stuff that would make it easy to do though..

id be interested in hearing a dream list of features for a specialized tag-helper tool..

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2007, 07:51 PM »
Thanks for your answer Mouser.

there are some good tools for this i know, i'm just not remembering the names currently - chs could probably do it but not ideally.. it's tempting to think about adding stuff that would make it easy to do though..

It seems like chs could do that easily... But I understand you reservation.
The thing is, since I basically tag by pasting short text terms, it's just seems natural to use chs.

id be interested in hearing a dream list of features for a specialized tag-helper tool..

Here you go...

After reading a bit about what’s available, what I'd want from specialized tag-helper tool is to be able to:

- Tag paragraphs, sentences, words, inside documents -- not only the individual files as a whole ,

- edit tags and group of tags to individual/multiple files/directories.

- Create as many tags or categories as I want, and being able to organize them in hierarchical structures (a bit like EverNote and other software do).

- Insert tags rapidly with some kind of context menu or floating bar launched by a shortcut key -- a bit like FARR or CHS, etc... Drag and drop files directly to the bar could be good thing (if it's a file...) or using the keyboard to navigate through tags, etc. ; otherwise, just typing in the floating bar and pressing enter (or something like that… Just thinking out loud…  :huh: ) would insert a tag where the cursor is in the text of the active window.

- Monitor new files as they are saved (tag2find seems to offer such a feature -- but can't say how it works because haven't been able to play with it) so that they can instantly be tagged, or named appropriately (actually this is one feature that I find is missing from dialog box extenders: templates to name files in a rigorous and coherent way), and also show me which files aren't tagged -- although that last thing could easily be done with a Desktop Search program if it's compatible with the tagging system...

- Icons for the different Tags would be nice.

- A nice set of configurable keyboard shortcuts.

- Suggest a list of general and specialized tags for everyday use...

AND For the tag finding part :

1- I find that the tags should be “read” by popular Desktop Search tools so that one knows she will always be able to accurately find the tags, whether or not there is some kind of “tagging browser” coming with the “specialized tag-helper tool”... I Have no idea if that's possible (if not, well, see #2b), but why not concentrate “deep search” on one or two apps (FARR and X1/copernic/Archivarius…)? Makes the narrowing down of specific ideas much more precise.

And,

2a- the tagging utility should probably provide a light tag browser to manage (rename, classify, etc,) tags2b- And if it's not possible to use desktop search software to manage tags, I guess a small but powerful tagged file browser would be handy to be able to use different filters to make precise searches.

Tag2find looks like a fine app and seems to do some fun things (if only I could download it to try it) like:
"Tag Initializer (simple version)
Using tags is cool, but the hard part is when you have to starting your own tag environment. tag2find will help you by automatically tagging your files for you, to get you started.

We  provide a wizard which will provide you with initial tag suggestions based on:

•   folder path: often existing path names can also be used as tags, so this can get help you get started

•   file names: based on the filename, the type of the file is determined and tags for music, documents, images, etc. are suggested

•   metadata: MP3 files already contain metadata, called ID3; this data is extracted and suggested as tags
"

AND

"Related Tags
Never get lost in your tagged desktop. Related tags guide you to using your tags consistently while tagging and provide you suggestions on how to get closer to                 the goal of your research while searching."
AND

<b>TagCloud
</b>... visualizes your most popular tags at one glimpse. Surf your tagged desktop and discover your information by browsing through your own personal TagCloud.

But my main concern with the current "official" and hip tagging software is :

- Could my tags be just... lost  :(  if I move my files, change my OS, reinstall Windows, or any of these things I tend to do once in a while ? (tagging is a boring and a tedious thing to do if you have to do it for thousands of documents...). This is why I tend to think that Embedding the tag INTO the file might be a better option then having them floating separately. It might be a lot harder to change the tags quickly if they're embedded in the file though... But I'm not a programmer, so... who knows

- How about all my other home-brewed tags , Evernote tags, etc. (I use X1 or any other Desktop Search tool to find them ; what's great with EverNote is that you can export notes with their tags as text -- just love it)... ??? Would they be lost too ?...

Anyway. I hope I was able to transmit my ideas in an understandable language... Tell me what you think.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2007, 12:13 AM by Armando »

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2007, 12:12 AM »
Hi Mouser,

I just realized that I started this thread in the wrong forum section!!!!  :-[
Could it be moved? (Unless you don't mind leaving it here...)
It was of course meant to be in Clipboard Help+Spell section.

Thanks,

A.

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2007, 11:59 AM »
Hi Mouser,

I just realized that I started this thread in the wrong forum section!!!!  :-[
Could it be moved? (Unless you don't mind leaving it here...)
It was of course meant to be in Clipboard Help+Spell section.

Thanks,

A.

Thanks for moving it !

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2007, 12:01 PM »
I'm going to give this some real thought and write a sensible reply when i catch my breath.

mitzevo

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Control is power
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2007, 12:27 AM »
I seemed to have caught a lot of breath lately, need to borrow some mouser? Where's that sensible reply of yours??  ;D
The clock is running. Make the most of today. Time waits for no man. Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.